Moral question about fish keeping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this thread was just to get everyone going. I don't think OP really has a fish that they want to kill. I think maybe it was just like the thread title indicates, a "moral question". Or we scared her away with our angry comments and condescending bickering.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm requesting a moderator to end this thread.

There is no reason to close this thread unless people continue to go off topic or start acting uncivil.

All, most of you have been civil and stayed on topic, we appreciate that, some have not. Please keep it civil and on topic.

Well I was tired of the op not responding so I did some research, is it ok for me to post their stocking from what I can gather?

I stocked way too many Comets in a 20g tank for many years before i did research. I still have 2 that i need to get into a larger tank. Killing them would be a poor option for me but there are definitely worse ways to go about ridding yourself of unwanted fish. Letting them go wild in an environment where they could become pests is worse.

If it comes down to introducing foreign fish to a native habitat, then i say humanely destroy the fish. But as many have mentioned someone will take on your fish if you place ads in enough places. Just give it a little time.

I had a injured Neon Tetra that was being attacked and played with by some other fish, and floating upside down and gasping at the surface. Obviously it needed to go to fishy heaven, so I dunked it in rubbing alcohol. I did not have clove oil available or readily accessible, nor could I cut its head off, smash it, etc. It died in about 1 second.

Fish react to stimulus but they do not feel "pain".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I too go fishing and we throw out catches in an ice chest without a second thought. Ive euthanized fish in the freezer. But even petsmart will take a fish back for free. Problem is you dont know what will happen to the fish long term. Be careful what you purchase.

I think this is a good topic to discuss. Because I do not want to have to euthanize any fish in the future this makes me think about what I buy before I buy it. Also whether I can provide a happy, healthy, stress free home. There are lots of types of fish I would like to home but I dont because it would not be suitable for them in any of my current setups. Why buy something you think is cool today then have to kill it later because you irresponsibly took something in that you are ill equipped to care for. I think it is better to do research on how to care for a certain species before you buy rather than research the best way to kill it after you realize you cant take care of it. Apologies if this sounds harsh. Also this is not directed at ths OP. Just a rant on why topics like this should be addressed and not simply removed because no one wants to discuss it.

But even petsmart will take a fish back for free. Problem is you dont know what will happen to the fish long term. Be careful what you purchase.

Even Chain stores can vary. My local Petsmart that I worked at a while back had a very strict policy.

At one time we had 4 holding tanks in the back. As a courtesy to our customers my fish dept ran a covert Pleco swap. We would take in huge Plecos and had a list of owners with heated ponds or big tanks that wanted them.

We did NOT charge a dime for this. We were rehoming fish. We only housed them for a couple of hours or overnight at most.

During a remodel they took away our 2 larger holding tanks and the manager made us stop, even when we tried to explain the people bringing in or picking up fish were buying supplies that day.

Official policy, after 2 weeks, no returns not even for free. As a disease prevention.

We've had people dump fish and other animals on us.

A huge Black Moor blind in one eye left on a counter in a butter container. Luckily a coworker could take it or we'd have had to put it down.

A hamster that was found after she'd chewed out of a PAPER bag left on the floor. Lucky we found her before she found a pest glue trap. She was very sweet.

I always tried to talk people out of buying Common Plecos and other large species. It was an uphill battle. When I worked there my nickname was the Fish Nazi to some and the Fish Whisperer to others LOL

Tina

I think this is a good topic to discuss. Because I do not want to have to euthanize any fish in the future this makes me think about what I buy before I buy it. Also whether I can provide a happy, healthy, stress free home. There are lots of types of fish I would like to home but I dont because it would not be suitable for them in any of my current setups. Why buy something you think is cool today then have to kill it later because you irresponsibly took something in that you are ill equipped to care for. I think it is better to do research on how to care for a certain species before you buy rather than research the best way to kill it after you realize you cant take care of it. Apologies if this sounds harsh. Also this is not directed at ths OP. Just a rant on why topics like this should be addressed and not simply removed because no one wants to discuss it.

Very well put.

Very well put.

Back
Top Bottom