more active now.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i got my mts and java moss and fern today while i was at work, couldnt wait til i could get home and get it planted, and to my surprise my new stuff from bigals came too.

some flourish, NLS growth and community, a replacement part for my python, and my new light bulbs for my fixture, and a couple test kits.

so i decided since i can use my python again why not do a PWC. so i did, did about a 45-55% change. still trying to get a routine done so it doesnt take as long. took like an hour and a half, but that was with planting the fern and tying (sp? wow i really cant remember how to spell that word....need to go to sleep lol) the moss to my pieces of driftwood in my tank.

so as im adding water back to the tank that is no where near the same temp as the water that was in my tank, and stressin out cuz im worried about my only fish and my frog, i added the prime and everything, and let it just sit for a few seconds, with my filter running since i started addin water back in. then i waited a bit for the temp to stabalize and start rising again, and i added the mts and then was going to do some tests, but i got sidetracked like normal. i got sidetracked by seein how the inhabitants would like the NLS growth i got. so i added a pinch.

so im talkin on the phone and i happen to look over and the frog that NEVER comes out since i put it in the tank last week (always hides behind or under driftwood) is swimming like mad around the tank, gettin the NLS, and just exploring. but now my fish is ticked off and wont come out from behind/under a lil driftwood ledge. so idk, just going to leave it alone and hopefully it starts to come back out again.

but after this long and kinda pointless post. a water change and some new food completely changed my frog which i am happy about cuz it was worrying my how it just hid and never ate anything.

Glad to hear that things are progressing in a positive way. In regard to equalizing your tank water with your new water, it's only going to become easier as you get used to it. After awhile, you will be able to do it by touch.

Until that time, I would suggest using a thermometer to match the incoming water with your tank temp. Run the water through the python in the sink (with valve open) and adjust until it is a perfect match. Close the valve and let the water flow. While filling, check the temp every few minutes to ensure you didn't lose equilibrium (in my house, if someone decides to take a shower during the water change, I will wind up with a very chilly tank).

HTH.

There was a Farside cartoon years ago, and it showed a book of equine medicine where every line on it was "take horse out back and shoot it." Such is the state of aquarium keeping, where many, many problems can be cured or prevented by " take python out and change water." :)

Back
Top Bottom