More advice needed....please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK~
With the tank came an UGF. So I placed the plates on the bottom and added the rock. At the time I wasn't sure if we were going to run powerheads or an airstone w/ the tubes.
Now hubby wants to place an airstone "under" the gravel so the bubbles come through the rocks.(are ya with me?) We saw this at the LFS and it looks kewl. Will this work? Or do I REALLY need the lift tubes??
YIKES.......I'm cornfused :) Please help me!!

With the fluvals running in opposite corners, I don't think we need powerheads. (I could be wrong)
Please help me set this up correctly :)
I just want the BEST environment for my fishies :) :)

You guys ARE the best!!!!!

personally, i wouldn't use the ugf at all, since you are keeping Koi. They produce so much waste, the ugf will be clogged up in no time at all. Just use the 2 fluvals, should be plenty!

UGF

Agree with corvuscorax 100%. Lose the UGF and save yourself major headaches down the road. If you want the bubbles coming out of the gravel, bury an airstone or bubblewand in there.
Logan J

After experimenting with air rocks, I put a pair of bubblewands in mine. They look great and the fishies like to play in the bubbles, so I figure it was a good move!

I agree lose the UGF. With the airstones under the gravel you have to replace them about once a month. I have found from my past experience with them, they seem to get gummed up from the gravel and sediment and don't run as well after about a month.

After ripping the UGF out last night, we burried the bubble wands in the gravel (it looks kewl) I'm glad we did it this way.
Now all I have to do is "wait" for the cycle. It's been 1 week since the ammonia was added and still no trace of nitrites (is this normal)
I even seeded the filter.

Well off to work for now~ Thanks for the replies and have a GREAT day!!

Back
Top Bottom