More compatibility questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verucaproduce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently purchased 5 guppies for my 5 gallon tank. Soon after two of them met their demise. Brought them back to the petstore, they tested the water, said everything was great, and gave me a refund.
It has been a week or more since then and now I have 3 guppies in the tank. Amm=0, Nitrite=0, Nitrate=10. I do a water change/gravel vac once a week.

What else can I put with them? I was looking at a betta, but after reading people's experiences with that combination I feel that it is too risky. Especially because I have no idea of the betta's temperment (because I haven't even met him yet :D )

I would like to get an oto or snail to help with the algae, but what other fish can I put with guppies in such a small tank? Are there any odd combinations that I wouldn't think of? I am looking for something colorful :fishbandwagon: (was thinking of platies) and a little bit more slow-moving than the guppies. Any bottom dwellers that would be compatible?

Just buy yourself several female guppies. You will soon have plenty of fish. Be aware that guppies are not shy about eating the fry.

Why don't you just put your oto's in the little tank to clear up the algae and then put em back in your 10 gallon. That way you don't have to buy anything for now and it'll fix the algae problem. I don't recommend getting anything for it that's a bottom feeder because pleco's are too big and all your other options *should* be in groups. If you want to get more fish maybe just 1 or 2 more guppies.

I have a new plan which consists of putting the guppies in my 10 gallon tank with the betta and the platies (all male) and then restocking my 5 gallon.
My betta seems pretty docile, and if not I can always move the guppies back into the 5 gallon and devise a plan B.

bunebop, I don't know about moving the otos back and forth as they seem somewhat delicate. Just lost one in the 10 gallon, so I am down to two. Have you had any luck doing that?

No, actually i haven't had any experience with Oto's at all. I've heard that they ar hardy fish, but judging by my boyfriends experience with them they are quite delicate (I believe he has one alive out of ~10 dead ones, heh) so it is probably not a good idea. Most fish do not like to be moved around much, but it was just a suggestion due to the small size of your tanks. You should really watch how many fish you put in your tanks, what that many fish and the size of some of em in such small tanks it could potentially turn out kinda bad... :?

From the little that I have experienced otos are somewhat more delicate than other fish. Which is why I hesitate in moving them back and forth. It is a shame, because they are awesome little cleaners.

I am still trying to make up my mind about whether to try a guppy or two in the betta tank. Maybe when I have time to sit and watch closely. lol Make sure everyone is behaving.

It's only a five gal, instead of adding a cleaner, just DIY :D
For a fun bottom feeder--try khuli loaches!

Menagerie,
It really isn't that I am too lazy to clean the five gallon...I swear! :D It is just that the acrylic scratches easily and it is an odd shaped tank which makes it difficult to get into some of the nooks and crannies. But I guess I really don't need a cleaner. I could try one of those magnetic scrapers...maybe they aren't as scratchy?!

Well, I finally got up the courage to do it. Put my guppies in the 10 gallon with the betta, and everything has been fine since Friday afternoon. So I hope that it continues. 8O

Now for more fishes for the 5 gallon. lol Here we go again!!! :D

what about making the 5 gal a QT or waiting a little while to make sure everyone gets along in the 10 gal? I just had to move my betta to my 10 gal from the 5 because he was beating up on my african dwarf frogs. Or you could stock your 5 gal with 2 or 3 female bettas. The three girls I moved into my 5 gal (from the 10 because of the male) are doing great and loving it (and they are nice to the frogs).

Wow. You must have read my mind. :D I was thinking of a female betta possibly. That is if I can find one at the pet store. Seems like a lot of times they only have males.

as much as I hate to say this, go to walmart. I waited until there was only one left that nobody wanted (and was about to be flushed) and then I would buy it. That is how I ended up with my three (and now two more fish that I definatly DON'T need.. it is addictive so be careful) beautiful little girls. They looked horrible when I first got them, no color, and very tiny, but they are my favorite, and now most beautiful, fish.

Luckily, our Walmarts don't carry live fish. They stopped a few years back which is good because a) they took horrible care of them...and b) it would be waaaaay too much temptation every time I went in there.

The only store that currently keeps bettas around here is PetCo and unfortunately they keep them in those silly cup-sized plastic containers. I rescued my male betta from there and he has gotten quite beautiful. I hate to condone such behavior by purchasing them, but I figure I am giving them a better life than they would have.

Maybe if I can catch them on a Wednesday when they get their shipment I can grab one or two. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom