More Filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
right now i am running a Eheim 2215 on my Planted 75, it is an ok filter and all, but i was thinking of adding a second canister to "polish" things off, i would probably just run pure mechanical filtration...

i was thinking of a Rena XP2 or 3

thoughts

JDogg said:
right now i am running a Eheim 2215 on my Planted 75, it is an ok filter and all, but i was thinking of adding a second canister to "polish" things off, i would probably just run pure mechanical filtration...

i was thinking of a Rena XP2 or 3

thoughts

If you just want polishing have you thought about something like a H.O.T magnum or a Magnum 350. I only have experience with the H.O.T magnum and can tell you it works great for polishing, but requires more maintenance that I would like due to the Micron filter clogging pretty quickly. A friend of mine just set up a 350, I'll ask he what he thinks of it. The one advantage to the Magnum series is that the micron filter can be reused.

One thing I've wanted to try is running two canister filters in line. The water goes from the tank to canister filter one where it gets mechanically filtered. The water then goes to a second filter containing only bio-media. Once the water is done it returns to the tank. It's such a crazy idea I'm not sure if it would work. I ended up just getting a larger canister filter for my new 55g tank.

P.S. After going with an Eheim how can you buy another filter? That's like going from a BMW to a KIA. That's just wrong.

Do you use AC? I keep it fresh in my xp2 and it really makes a difference in the "shine" of the water. I started using it just to remove some tannins, but it did such a good job...

You can never have enough filtration. I would go for a fluval 204 or 304, not the new 05 series. You can buy the old 04 models on ebay for pretty cheap prices now. Or you could just buy an emperor 400- I have heard nothing but positive things about those.

Get an XP3. It polishes like a pro, and you will have 2 more media baskets for more bio or any other filtration your heart will desire. XP1 or 2 would polish just as well, but atleast get the 2.

The magnum 350 with the micron filter is an amazing water polisher. The filter filters out anything over 15 microns, which leads to crystal clear water. If you go with this option, don't get the "pro" version. It has plenty of extras that you flat out don't need. Buy the basic $70 version and pick up a micron filter from any pet store for $8. Also, putting one of the blue filter pads on the outside of the micron filter will help it last longer.

This filter however is ONLY a mechanical filter. You can add AC, but must remove the micron filter to do so, which completely defeats the purpose of having it. And yes, as stated above, the micron filters can be cleaned. I had two of them and swapped them out so that I could clean one while the other was running.

That is why I like the Rena lines. I had a Magnum 350 on a 150 gal. I put it on when I had next to solid green water, and in a few hours it was crystal clear. Its a great polisher, but the XP is only a bit more expensive and the basket system makes it so easy to customize.

The magnum would be a great choice if you know you will never want to add any media.

JRagg said:
This filter however is ONLY a mechanical filter. You can add AC, but must remove the micron filter to do so, which completely defeats the purpose of having it. And yes, as stated above, the micron filters can be cleaned. I had two of them and swapped them out so that I could clean one while the other was running.
that is what i am looking for... i have enough bio filtration between the bio-media i my eheim and the plants...i just need something to remove all the suspended mulm and such ...

That may be the filter you're looking for then. I used one in past and it did well for what it was. There aren't a lot of people here that have or suggest marineland equipment, so people who have used that filter are few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom