More Platy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a pregnant platy currently giving birth in my breeding box. 3 fry so far. I have 2 questions.

#1. How long should I leave her in there to be sure she has had all her babies?

#2. How long should I leave the fry in the box before I move them to another tank?

Also, some are being born looking like little clear blobs with eyes, no tail... Is there something wrong?

It all depends on how big the rest of the fish are. As a general rule, you should keep them in there for about a month. As long as the fry are big enough not to be eaten by the others you are good! You will be able to tell when she is done, it doesn't take long for the Platy to finish birthing, maybe an hour or so.

Answer 1: If she's a younger fish, you can expect up to 15-20 fry. Once she stops dropping them in quick succession, she's probably done. If she hasn't given birth in the last minute or so, take her out of the breeding net; the loss of one or two late fry is less than the potential loss of the whole brood.

Answer 2: If you have a rearing aquarium ready to go already, you can move them into it once they're up and moving about (usually within a few hours).

A rearing tank should be simple and easy to clean; a bare aquarium with an air-driven sponge filter and a heater works wonders. Put some clean java fern in there for them to hide in, and you'll be golden. Feed them powdered flake food and baby brine shrimp (either frozen or live), and they'll be growing into little monsters in no time. I'd shoot for 1/2"-3/4" size before you try to introduce them into the tank with their parents.

Thanks. The breeder I have actually allows them to frop into a bottom compartment so the mother wont eat them. She has been dropping 1 every 4 minutes or so and isnt moving much. I can still see their eyes inside her belly.

They will be going into a tank with no other fish. It does have gravel in it, will this be an issue?

Thanks. The breeder I have actually allows them to frop into a bottom compartment so the mother wont eat them. She has been dropping 1 every 4 minutes or so and isnt moving much. I can still see their eyes inside her belly.

They will be going into a tank with no other fish. It does have gravel in it, will this be an issue?

It won't be an issue. The reason for not having any gravel is to make it easier to clean out when done. no need to actually have this type of tank if you already have one setup without any fish in it.

I would remove the gravel and leave it bare-bottomed. Fry can become trapped between the pieces of gravel if the grains are big enough, and gravel just traps detritus and makes you life more difficult when it comes time to do water changes.

Keep it bare-bottomed, and you can easily siphon off mulm when you do a water change. Coincidentally, fry need clean water for optimal growth and health, so I'd advise doing a 10% water change daily, more if you're heavy handed with the feeding and notice a lot of mulm building up on the bottom of the tank.

Hmmm.. I have the breeder floating in the tank they will be going into. I'll need to figure out how to remove the gravel with them still in the breeder box. Any suggestions?

Just scoop it out with a net. If this is a freshly set up aquarium (it should be; don't go putting fry into a dirty tank), then there won't be much mess.

Thank has been running for about a week with a couple of danios in it. The danios were just re-homed today.

I would certainly break it down and set it up clean, then. Move the fry and the net back into the main aquarium while you do so, get it filled, treated with a water conditioner, and brought up to temperature before putting them in.

What are you using for filtration on this tank? You cannot use a power filter, or you'll kill the fry. An air-driven sponge filter is best, or barring that, daily 25% water changes (though this is not ideal).

I would certainly break it down and set it up clean, then. Move the fry and the net back into the main aquarium while you do so, get it filled, treated with a water conditioner, and brought up to temperature before putting them in.

What are you using for filtration on this tank? You cannot use a power filter, or you'll kill the fry. An air-driven sponge filter is best, or barring that, daily 25% water changes (though this is not ideal).

If I break the tank down then I use the cycle. I am using a hang in tank filter. I had planned on just putting a pair of pantyhose over it.

Back
Top Bottom