Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

More questions for you cycling experts - pls bear with me!

Feeling a little dumb here....

Any thoughts on using ammonia absorbers like AmRid in my filter? I have two filters, and it's only my little one. On another thread I was told that it would take nearly forever to cycle. But, if it's working, is that really so bad?

Also, if I continue using it, do I really need to keep testing for ammonia/nitrate/nitrite? (the readings are always negligible) Isn't that the point of using it in the first place? I suppose testing would let you know when it's time to replace the media, but it doesn't seem to me that weekly testing would be required. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Old 10-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

by putting ammonia into a tank that your trying too cycle wont do any thing, beause there will be no ammonia for it too remove, if you try too rush a tank you are asking too fail with it.

Old 10-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can you just continuously use AmRid and replace it as needed to keep your ammonia down? Perhaps you could... never really thought of it that way for a couple of reasons:

1 - AmRid costs money and I really don't want to have to buy anything "extra"... I can use my money for other stuff.

2 - You might get a bad batch of AmRid or you might forget to change it out and you'll come home to a tank full of dead fish.

Just be patient and cycle the tank then you don't have to worry about it. If you want to expedite the cycling process buy some Bio Spira.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You know, theoretically you could just use ammonia absorbers all the time; the result you want whether using ammonia absorbers or cycling the tank is the lack of nitrogenous waste. I've kinda pondered this one from time to time...what I've decided is its better to have the tank cycled. One can never be sure when the ammonia absorbers are "full" without constant testing; testing is still needed with cycling but on a weekly or biweekly basis...I would think it would be required more often with the absorbers. Then if there is an ammonia spike there is nothing to remove it (even tho a spike in a cycled can happen, the bacteria can work on it) and you'll need to add more or recharge it (assuming you are available to do that). Plus, some ammonia absorbers can be recharged with salt; one of the folks here discovered using salt in the tank can cause the absorbers to discharge the ammonia. Lastly, ammonia absorbers only remove ammonia, and not nitrite/nitrates so far as I know.

Oh and just to clarify, testing is always necessary

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks! I get the feeling that the concensus is to chuck the the AmRid. If I were to do that, how would I go about that? I couldn't just remove it altogether, could I? I've been using it in my 10 gal tank since I set it up 8 months ago. It came with my little AquaClear mini, and of course I didn't know a thing about cycling back then...

So many things to think about!
Old 10-17-2003, 06:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your 10 gallon has 3 platies in it I think. You have a fairly light bio load going and I suspect that your tank has cycled somewhat since its been 8 months. Your bio filter is pretty weak right now, however, cuz of the AmRid. You have also stated that you have another larger tank.

Considering all of this, I'd chuck the AmRid outright and begin testing your water daily for Ammonia & Nitrites (maybe every other day). My guess is that you'll see a slight increase in ammonia and nitrites in a few days to a week but not much given the age of the tank and current fish load. If you do start to see the readings go too high then perform water changes as needed to bring them down until the cycle completes.

If you see the readings really starting to take off then you can move 1 or 2 of the fish to the other tank until the cycle completes but I think this is highly unlikely. You should be fine with the light fish load in there.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/libra...moniachart.htm
http://freshaquarium.about.com/libra...tritechart.htm

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com