More territorial: Plecos or Blue Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I brought home a Pleco (am working on identifying it... as stupid as it sounds, I forgot what kind it is, but its similar to a clown, but "flatter" and more expensive) and two Blue Rams today, and the rams are thoroughly enjoying the area under the driftwood that I had intentionally created for the Pleco. They explored the tank for a while, and now have settled under the wood. The Pleco hasn't moved from his shaded corner since I put him in - I'm assuming he'll explore tonight when the lights are out.
Once the Pleco finds the driftwood shelter, I'm assuming he'll love it - I was wondering if this will cause problems with the Rams?

Also, I have Danios, which are top dwellers and hyper, and the Rams who like the bottom - any advice on getting the food to the bottom of the tank without the Danios flipping out and eating it? Any chance the Rams will eat from the surface? They don't seem interested in food much yet (though I did see the male eat a flake or two as it sank to the bottom).

Thanks, and once again, I apoligize for cluttering the forum with questions.

Cluttering a forum with questions is what a forum is for, so ask away!! LOL.

Well...I guess you'll find out in a little while who won the spot under the driftwood. These guys aren't out to hurt each other though, so it just depends on who's more convincing. Rams love little caves just as much as plecos do. You can easily construct another area if you feel sorry for one or the other, but they'll be content so long as there's plenty of room for them to stretch their fins and the other who don't get the driftwood spot can find another area.

When feeding, instead of placing the food on the surface, swirl it throughout the water. The danios can't be everywhere at once no matter how hard they try LOL. For the pleco, put in some leaf lettuce (Romaine or FW seaweed) on a clip overnight for the pleco to eat. The rams may even take a nibble at it too. Just take it out in the morning so it doesn't continue to decompose in the water. Veggie matter can foul a tank just as much as any other uneaten food.

And if your pleco get's large (mine is 13.5" with the tail) you'll find critters like kuhli loaches like to use them as shelter :? :)

If you post a picture, chances are someone here will know what type it is..

as for the driftwood, the pleco will eventually win, it's a matter of size, and there isn't a pleco out there aside from oto's that won't get bigger then the rams.. But you may find they will both take shelter there with little to no problems, pleco's lay still enough the rams may think he's just a rock..

Update: The Pleco "won" :) The rams actually seemed to lose interest in the cave and the Pleco moved in over night. They also came to the top to eat today, and have been doing a lot of exploring. They seem to be doing really well so far, I hope it keeps up, I know the reputation of Blue Rams.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
If you post a picture, chances are someone here will know what type it is..

I would, but the bugger is suctioned to the bottom of the driftwood in his cave at the moment, and is very invisible. He looks like a clown, but with wider stripes, and instead of being mostly dark with light stripes like a clown he is actually more light, or 50/50. Very flat head with a stripe through his big eyes. Extremely pretty, IMO, and only gets ~ 6 inches (he is 2-2.5" right now). He looks like a very expensive rare breed, but isn't - he was only about $15. They didn't have a common name for him at the store, just a scientific, that's why I can't remember it - I'll just check the next time I'm at the LFS.

Question: Do rams need to have a cave? My tank has a lot of shaded areas due to a lot of fake plants, and its pretty visually complex, but should I add an actual cave for them to hide in?
Thanks!

Adding a cave would probably be a good idea but not a must. I'm sure the rams would appreciate it as my rams are always in and out of there cave. If you have lots of plants and stuff they should be fine but it wouldn't hurt to add one.
Good Luck

Aquarium Freak said:
Adding a cave would probably be a good idea but not a must. I'm sure the rams would appreciate it as my rams are always in and out of there cave. If you have lots of plants and stuff they should be fine but it wouldn't hurt to add one.
Good Luck

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for a suitable cave - my tank's pretty decorated as is.
Another question: Are air stones stressful to fish? I have two at the back of my tank, and they're decently strong. I haven't turned them on since I've added the Rams/Pleco, but the danios seemed kind of agitated (though it was probably my imagination) when they were on. I wasn't sure if the noise/vibration of the air pump, or the bubbles made them nervous or anything. It's hard to tell if they like it or not.
Thanks!

I don't think it really matters as long as they are not to strong.I know that when I had Zebra Danios they would swim through the stream of bubbles for hours and they would also swim against the current of the filter. It should be Ok just watch and if any of the fish look stresse maybe take one airstone out or turn them down and if it gets real bad just take them out.
Hope This Helps

Back
Top Bottom