Mosquito fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khalix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I work in a pet store I often end up bringing random baby fish home because they won't let us sell them and usually they won't survive in the parent tanks or against the merciless gravel vacuum of doom we use on a very routine basis.

I ended up finding what I thought was a common guppy baby that had somehow ended up in the shark tank(yikes!). I scooped him up and raised him with some guppy fry I was already taking care of.

Fast forward to now and from what I have seen he's more than likely a mosquito fish. I've read a few articles that made it sound like they can be kind of a nuisance in some community tanks, especially ones with fancy guppies. Anyone had any experience with them? I haven't noticed anything, but I am certainly not there to watch all the time and want to make sure I don't need to move him.

Mosquito fish (Gambusia) are very much like Guppies in their needs and temperament, so you shouldn't have any problems with your specimen he'll be fine. not sure if they cross breed with guppies.

Pete

Mosquito fish and guppies are in the same family of fish. It is easy to see were your confusion may have come from since they do look similar.

They can interbreed with guppies, but it can be rather hard on the guppies and is not always successful.

Back
Top Bottom