mosquito larvae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishnewbe420 said:
Ok so I put a bucket outside an now there is a whole bunch of mosquito larvae in can I feed these little guys to my fish???

I Wouldn't... Too much risk of parasites/pesticides getting into the tank if you ask me.

Yes you can, scoop them with a brine net and rinse them well. Nothing like some live food for the fish. Do not feed to many as you do not want the mosquitoes developing inside your house.

Mosquito larvae is a go-to live food used by many in aquaria. What kind of parasites (that mosquitoes carry) are you concerned with exactly?

I've used mosquito larvae, but it's not something I do regularly because if you aren't regularly harvesting them you will have a major mosquito outbreak.

I'm sure my fish outside in tubs enjoy them regularly.

jetajockey said:
Mosquito larvae is a go-to live food used by many in aquaria. What kind of parasites (that mosquitoes carry) are you concerned with exactly?

I've used mosquito larvae, but it's not something I do regularly because if you aren't regularly harvesting them you will have a major mosquito outbreak.

I'm sure my fish outside in tubs enjoy them regularly.

It's more pesticides then parasites honestly. Who knows how many chemicals the mama has been sprayed with before she lays those eggs? It just would worry me is all. And also, unless you setup the source, who knows what kind of chemicals could have snuck into the water? It's just a risk IMO.

So now its pesticides rather than parasites? This argument is beginning to look unfounded.

If the mother mosquitoes have been sprayed with pesticides then they'll be dying/dead, and likewise with the larvae, but if you aren't sure (or have someone out in the yard spraying stuff all the time), then obviously it wouldn't be good to use them.

We have mosquito control that has a spraying schedule and it's listed online so that we know when they are coming around to spray, that way we can cover up the pond and tubs.

The OP said they are setting up a bucket outside, so the source water is known, it's not like going out to a random drainage ditch and scooping larvae out of it.

All in all, the risk isn't anything greater than using anything that comes from outside. Many people (including fish farms) utilize outdoor ponds, tubs, etc.

I don't really advocate this practice, I am terrible at keeping constant tabs on something like this, so it's not for me, but it is something that a lot of people use regularly and have great success with.

But the mosquito larvea is different to the actual mosquito, i have feed my fish Mosquito larvea for atleast a year without any deaths or sickness. Just be sure to rinse them well and feed them! They will love the extra protien! :)

I wouldnt. First of all there are likely no parasites that would be transferred from the larvae to the fish. Having said that, there are other issues, such as bacterial infections and pollution. The mosquitos are living in filthy stagnant water. What other bacteria is living in the water? The water is most likely contaminated with chemicals / low levels of pesticides. Would you drink from the water the mosquito are in- why not?

Think about this, you would never consider to jump into the sewer and bathe in the filthy water there, yet the sewers are full of rats and roaches that thrive there.

You can buy any number of cheap frozen foods at the store for very little cost. Why risk your fish for just a few pennies?

Why are we talking about dirty water when the water that they have been laid in is clean? The eggs have been put into a bucket that is clean and the water from a tap? So i am confused with your arguement

Is it really clean? How long was the bucket outside? What else has been in the bucket to drink or to lay eggs. Has any runoff water from the roof, or chemicals from a neighbor's lawn contaminated the water. I don't think you can know these answers for sure. While the larvae might be just fine, it hardly seems worth the risk.

Maybe I'm overly cautious but then again I wouldn't let my kids eat an ice cream cone that has fallen on the floor.

I think this could be argued all day. Once you get something in your head, it takes a lot to change it. That said, I would have no issues doing this is I controlled it. I wouldn't go out and find them somewhere and put them in my tank. But, if I set up a bucket and did everything, there would be no concern. It's not like people come and spray stuff in my yard anyways. If they did, well, that's a topic for a different discussion. I see this no different than growing plants in tanks outside. I don't have any reason to be concerned.

mfdrookie516 said:
I think this could be argued all day. Once you get something in your head, it takes a lot to change it. That said, I would have no issues doing this is I controlled it. I wouldn't go out and find them somewhere and put them in my tank. But, if I set up a bucket and did everything, there would be no concern. It's not like people come and spray stuff in my yard anyways. If they did, well, that's a topic for a different discussion. I see this no different than growing plants in tanks outside. I don't have any reason to be concerned.

I would have to agree

I have fed my fish and frogs mosquito larvae for months with no ill effects. I don't know why there is any need for concern if you put water in a bucket and set it out. It isn't like you are just going up to a cesspool and taking larvae from it.

Back
Top Bottom