Moss. Algae. Which

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So Ive seen this before in other tanks and I was wondering what it is...
I have java moss on these pieces and other pieces near by. I was wondering if it was growing here which I dont think is very likely but here is a pic or two.
18608-albums326-picture2940.jpg
18608-albums326-picture2941.jpg

it looks like hair algae
i cant see it close enough but if it is hair algae then if you buy a siamese flying fox they will eat it

LOL ghost knife i can see the top of the alage in the right hand pic
LOL having a dumb day

It is hair algae and a siamese flying fox will fix this problem for you.
BN and plecos dont eat this stuff, it wont harm your fish just take over the tank
go buy a siamese flying fox and within a few days it will be fixed

Yea its all over that piece of driftwood... I wonder how it got there because it is mainly on that piece only a little spec on the piece laying under that. Its a wall of green on that one though!

i am not sure how it gets there, but i have had experience with this stuff in my 4ft tank, took 4 siamese flying foxes to get rid of it

I just ordered 3 striped gourami online and I am almost at a limit with fish ...
As I have a small bala shark and 2 clown loaches

the pleco wont eat the hair algae they hate the stuff
you need a flying fox, they dont grow very big so i wouldnt be worried about over stocking the tank

Just make sure you read up on how to id a true SAE vs. the other varieties. Only the true SAEs will eat the algae, and many LFS's will try and sell you a look a like under the same name.

This is a good article that will point out the differences:
Algae Eating Cyprinids

Just read up on it. My bala shark is similar in size and shape. It stated that it should not be kept with red tail shark... what do you think...

I have mine with silver fin sharks,
I know red tailed sharks are known for agression
ummm, so do you have the red tail shark or the silver fin shark, i have a pic of my silver fin shark in my pics if you want to have a look

bala been the silver fin shark correct?
if it is like the one in my pics then yes you can have it
the silver finned sharks can be agressive when they dont get enough food and they feel closed in, but normal they are peaceful and they live fine with the foxes

okay great thanks. Yea its the same as yours the most common name I think is Bala shark but hey Soda is to Pop 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other right!!! Thanks for your help mitcore!

your welcome,
put them in the tank and all will be well
in the mean time you can take out any object in the tank and under cold water use your fingers to scrub it off them,
this wont work forever, LOL i tried this and ended up getting the foxes
now i am hair algae free LOL

Back
Top Bottom