moss balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So these moss ball things.. ive read through sites that they are just algae is this true? So does this mean my pleco would just eat it away to nothing slowly eat it... or would it be healthier than algae wafers ( considering its the real thing) im only asking bc the only pace my tank seems to grow algea is the stupid hood under the light.

They are a type of algae, but I don't think your pleco is going to eat them. They may suck the micro organisms off them, but that's about it. Someone else may want to chime in, as I do not own a pleco. But, I can say that my algae eating critters do not eat the moss ball itself.

That is true plecos will not eat them. If your worried about your pleco diet, you can add zucchini or cucumber. If you want to feed him algea put some rocks in water on a window sill they will grow algea.

I have a moss ball and 2 Plecos and it hasn't gotten eaten. Occasionally my rainbow shark or plecos will nibble it but I think they are just eating things off of it.

Plecos won't eat the moss ball but I believe there's an amphipod that eats moss.

I have a moss ball and 2 Plecos and it hasn't gotten eaten. Occasionally my rainbow shark or plecos will nibble it but I think they are just eating things off of it.

I just purchased a moss ball and have been afraid to put it in with my pleco, haha. Good to hear they won't devour it!

Moss balls remove nitrates from the water. I have 2 corys and a bn plec, and both are fine with them, they don't even nibble them

reefdiver said:
That is true plecos will not eat them. If your worried about your pleco diet, you can add zucchini or cucumber. If you want to feed him algea put some rocks in water on a window sill they will grow algea.

Yes do the cucumber they freeking love it!!! +27283849726368183620$17388262837 to cucumber idea

They won't eat clados. Clados are cool but doesn't do the nitrate reduction as everybody is talking. They just eat a bit of them to grow slowly like plants.

Hygrophillia difformis is a real good plants at sucking nutrients.

Your pleco will be fine with the moss ball. I have two moss balls in my tank. They compete for the nutrients with the algae in your tank. It helps keep the algae down. The moss balls also are good if you want to breed any of your fish as some need moss to spawn on. What I did to hide the moss ball is I put it in one of my caves so I don't look at it all the time.

Your pleco will be fine with the moss ball. I have two moss balls in my tank. They compete for the nutrients with the algae in your tank. It helps keep the algae down. The moss balls also are good if you want to breed any of your fish as some need moss to spawn on. What I did to hide the moss ball is I put it in one of my caves so I don't look at it all the time.

It may be algae but it still needs light.

And, nothing bothers the ones in my tank. Coryadoras, pleco, snails, loaches, and the molly that likes to eat hair algae -- none of them munch on the moss ball.

Back
Top Bottom