Moss Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tardis1973

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
i was wondering if anyone could tell me if moss balls are good for the aquarium as i have just purchased 5 small ones ?
Thanks

There pretty good instead of being a ball I tied moss to a rock and it's growing all over it. It catches food an stuff so fry and eat. Also eats nitrates for fertilizer

I love mine and so do the fish. There are different kinds though. Petco sells moss balls that are Java moss. Petsmart and other places sell Marimo moss balls. They're darker and fuzzier. You can cut them in half too, if you want more. I've been told that you can sort of un-roll them and tie them down as well, but I haven't tried it.

p.s. I love your username! :)

I like mine. Marimo moss balls are supposed to be good filters and since they require very little light and are awesome looking in small to medium sized tanks, especially little bowls and Betta tanks, I highly recommend them!

Here (below) is a pic of a little planted bowl I just got started on. The one in the front is marble, "nano" sized, but the giant green glob in the middle of the driftwood is a "broken" one, spread open and plopped over the top. I left it in the bigger fish tank for almost a year, before it collapsed on it self. Then actually forgot about it for awhile, was hoping it would fix itself somehow. Then rediscovered it when I cleaned out the tank! It didn't do anything special but stay alive and pretty green!

So be careful and don't squeeze your giant sized moss ball like it is a sponge! Oh wait that was me! :oops: :facepalm:

It was big like a baseball or orange, and it kept getting so much debris on it, I gave it a couple good shakes and that didn't help so I thought maybe if I squeezed it the stuff would come out, but it really broke.

Can't imagine what I was using for brains that day, lol. :eek: Definitely didn't think that through.

When I went to buy a new giant one, I was shocked at the price $20-25, as I paid $7.99 for the original giant one, so I didn't buy another giant one :(.

So I am sharing my warning, "Be Gentle" with them and move them around frequently

60074-albums12153-picture55171.jpg

So what is better...Java or Marimo? I am thinking about adding some to my 55g. Which one looks better and/or is more durable?

Well, the java moss ones are just plastic balls that float at the top wrapped in moss while marimo ones are actually the real deal. They'll grow and produce little moss ball babies in time and IMO look much better once established (they are basically like velvet). They're extremely durable too as long as you don't let them sit in one place too long as you'll need to rotate them regularly. Also maybe once a week you'll just want to gently squeeze them in a little tank water.

I love marimos.... however my dojo loach tore apart my two giant ones in my 55 gallon...He hides in them

I love marimos.... however my dojo loach tore apart my two giant ones in my 55 gallon...He hides in them

Really? Crap. I have a marimo moss ball in my 55, and 2 dojos who are going into that tank in a few weeks. Hmmmmmmm.................:facepalm:
I am really wnting to plant the tank nicely, but am already cosidering pots and alternatives because of the loaches. Little boogers!

they might do okay if the moss balls are small! Mine were literally the size of my face and made perfect sleeping quarters for my dojo to nestle his way into. I would have been quite upset if I did not love him so much. I have never seen such big marimos before then, don't think I ever will again either. Oh well lol

Back
Top Bottom