Moss Balls and Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquamandan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am trying to get the ammonia down in my aquarium, picked up a moss ball at petsmart yesterday. Has anybody had any luck with moss balls?

Other than frequent WCs, what else can I do to get rid of the ammonia? Are there any specific plants that will help? Right now its about 2 ppm.

:thanks:

I have 3 moss balls in my 55 gal. But they are there cuz my 8 year old daughter thought they were so cute. They were the first of any kind of vegetation in the tank and I didn't notice any change in water parameters. Could be 3 won't affect a 55 gal tank unless I had the entire bottom covered in them. I could be wrong. They will be moved to my old 20 Hal which will become my daughters betta tank. Maybe thy will affect nitrates better in there. But in not holding my breath.

Sounds like you're still somewhere in the cycling process. Use media from a well established tank would also do the try. The decors, substrate gravels, plants from established tanks have beneficial bacteria that are needed for speedy cycling process. If you can't get hold of these items you can always buy some chemicals to speed it up.

Sounds like you're still somewhere in the cycling process. Use media from a well established tank would also do the try. The decors, substrate gravels, plants from established tanks have beneficial bacteria that are needed for speedy cycling process. If you can't get hold of these items you can always buy some chemicals to speed it up.

Thanks, what kind of chemicals? I've treated my water with Stress Zyme (API) that has the good bacteria.

Thanks, what kind of chemicals? I've treated my water with Stress Zyme (API) that has the good bacteria.

stress zyme is for fish if i'm not mistaken. go to your local pet store and look for water conditioner that targets ammonia or whatever is it that you're trying to get rid of.

You could use prime it detkxifies ammonia and very good product. There are some stem plants that like to suck up ammonia.

I heard that moss balls don't like high light and have also heard that they do. I would test out which is better by either putting one in a high light tank and the other in a low light one. See if their are any changes in the two and if one browns/blackens, then put it in the other tank with the one that is healthier. I also heard the moss balls love a good squeeze every week or after a couple of days. Make sure you squeeze it in a different container as your tank will become dirty. If you plan on using it to get rid of algae(brown), DO NOT just have one if their is too much of it as the algae will take over the moss ball and kill it. I have experimented with this before and it killed my moss ball. If you want, when your moss ball is big and green and starts to grow a little lump on its surface, that means that it is going to split into a baby one. Most people don't want to wait for it that long so they rip it in half,tie it with a string or rubber band, and treat it with ferts. Don't do this if you aren't sure as I am not held liable for your incidents. If you want to understand what I am saying, look it up on YouTube.

correct, I was referring to the beneficial bacteria. I bought some Ammo Lock but it doesn't seem to have helped, think I may buy a few more moss balls and do it the natural way.

When using AmmoLock if I remember correctly it changes the ammonia into a less toxic form for fish BUT it will still register when doing an ammonia test. Nothing removes it from water except fast growing stem plants such as water sprite, wisteria, anacharis, etc., and WC's. If your cycling your tank you need to test your water daily and anytime it raises above .25 you need to do a WC. Are you doing a fish in cycle?

When using AmmoLock if I remember correctly it changes the ammonia into a less toxic form for fish BUT it will still register when doing an ammonia test. Nothing removes it from water except fast growing stem plants such as water sprite, wisteria, anacharis, etc., and WC's. If your cycling your tank you need to test your water daily and anytime it raises above .25 you need to do a WC. Are you doing a fish in cycle?

Interesting, didn't know that about AmmoLock. What about the ammonia safe tablets from Tetra? Will the ammonia test still show ammonia after treated with the tablets? I've done 3 consecutive water changes of about 30% in the past 3 days. I do have several wisteria plants too.

Interesting, didn't know that about AmmoLock. What about the ammonia safe tablets from Tetra? Will the ammonia test still show ammonia after treated with the tablets? I've done 3 consecutive water changes of about 30% in the past 3 days. I do have several wisteria plants too.

I've never used them so don't know anything about them. Also have you checked to see if your tap water has ammonia in it?

Back
Top Bottom