Most Colorful Non-Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hpiguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the most colorful non-cichlids for a tank?

List any you know of. Size, water types, compatibility can be worried about later. I just want colorful fish ideas right now, then will narrow stuff down.

I can think of the Buenos Aires Tetra, being a favorite of mine, but mind block won't let me think of any others today.

Going to be doing some stocking of various tanks, and would like some ideas to research and think about.

B.A.T.:

buenosAiresTetra4.jpg

Bettas are always colorful! Red minor tetras can be. Platy and guppy. Some mollies

Really colorful Non-Cichlid fish aye?

Standout to me would be Odessa Barbs.

Off the top of my head I don't know the requirements :(

If you want a bright non cichlid look into gouramis

Really colorful Non-Cichlid fish aye?

Standout to me would be Odessa Barbs.

Off the top of my head I don't know the requirements :(

It's cool if you don't know the requirements. I'm looking for ideas and will research each fish when I see ones I like.

Eventually I'll have a list and see what is all compatible for each tank. :)

1. Golden wonder killifish
2. Blue paradise fish
3. Pearl gourami

They're all peaceful and colorful IMO

Attachments

• image-4075741327.jpg
    image-4075741327.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 158
  • image-345666923.jpg
    image-345666923.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1311399114.jpg
    image-1311399114.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 157
Rainbowfish. There's so many varieties. The larger ones get 4-6 inches, WILL school with other species of Rainbowfish so you can mix them, and cross-breed. So it's kind of interesting. Very vibrant colors.

Boseman's rainbow and Millenium Rainbows are my favourite.

All good ideas. Giving my fish books a workout looking these up.

Keep them coming if you think of more.

Can I ask why it has to be a non cichlid because you can get some AMAZING colors out of some SA cichlids. Have you seen adult festae?

hpiguy said:
All good ideas. Giving my fish books a workout looking these up.

Keep them coming if you think of more.

Rummynose Tetra.
Scarlet Badis
Black Ruby Barb
Hi-Spot Rasbora (subdued but in a planted tank it can really shine)

Mrc8858 said:
Can I ask why it has to be a non cichlid because you can get some AMAZING colors out of some SA cichlids. Have you seen adult festae?

Also, Apistogramma species. Beautiful dwarf Cichlids.

Certainly you can ask why.

For some background, I have the aquarium bug again after being out of the hobby for quite some time.

One is a very fully planted 55 (pics in the tank pic section of FW) with driftwood that is now ready to be stocked. Not really suitable for any larger type cichlids and zero hiding spots for those types of fish.

I could do rams or dwarfs in that one, but I hear they can be very finicky/difficult and I simply can't devote that time to precisely perfect water/light conditions. I also have to be really careful with tankmates for them.

I have a 29 waiting in the wings that I want to possibly make a species tank and have it be a fake reef tank (I know some hate that style, but I'll do it as classy as possible, not toy like). I thought of some very colorful cichlids but after reading, a lot of people think a 29 is just too small for five or a half dozen cichlids, and since those fish were never my expertise I will take their word for it.

If you know of some cichlids that I could house a half dozen of in that 29 that won't be super picky about perfect water all the time, I'm willing to take a look and research those ones. :fish2:

I would say glow light tetras or just plain glofish. I also really like the neon tetra.

Killifish don't have to have massive aquariums, they can happily live in a 5g. One type is livebearer, others eggs layer. They are herbivorous.

Back
Top Bottom