Most efficient / most quiet / cheap filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for a filter with at least 300 gallons of flow rate. I don't mind if it's Canister or HOB or internal.

Thanks

P.S: Could anyone tell me how often a canister filter needs to be cleaned. How often the media and whatever is inside needs to be replaced? I am new to Canisters.

I rinse my canisters media maybe once a month, replace the polishing pads every few months. I haven't had to do a major cleaning of the upper half yet. (Have had my 406 for just over a year now)

I always had HOB type filters but went to an Eheim 2215 for the new 65 because trying to properly circulate with a HOB in a tall tank seemed impossible. Love it! I found terrific instructions online for maintaining the canister which took all of the mystery out of it. It's really not difficult at all and oh-so-quiet. I'm not sure what you consider cheap but you'll want to factor in media costs as well. The little specialized cartridges my old biowheel type filter required got expensive in a hurry. The canister has reusable sponges that should last much longer.

so right now it is between the aquaclear 110 and a canister filter. The aquaclear is less but i think the replacement parts (Monthly change of Filter Catridges) are more then a canister filter? Is this right? Or does the canister filter media and carbon replacements cost just as much?

You're not actually supposed to replace the filter cartridges, they just want you to spend money. Just like with the canister you just rinse the stuff out.
I would go with the canister though if you have the space!

You're not actually supposed to replace the filter cartridges, they just want you to spend money. Just like with the canister you just rinse the stuff out.
I would go with the canister though if you have the space!

What canister would you suggest? I'm looking for around 440 gph at least

I haven't used either of those but you may want to start a new thread asking for opinions on those two models specifically to draw the attention of those familiar with them.

Everyone gets mad at me when I start a new thread about something that I have already spoke about in a previous one... Thanks though

Filter Choice

For my two cents worth, go with the Aqua Clear 110 HOB. It's a well proven brand with lots of media options. You can buy a pack of the cut to fit filter pad material to put between the bottom foam and the top bio beads. This would make the cost very cheap. I'll attach a pic of what I get at Petsmart.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 54
That sounds perfect, although is it very quiet? This will be in my room

I run two in my bedroom. An AC50 & AC70 and both are completely quiet. I have read about people getting a noisy one but rarely as with any filter. OS.

Back
Top Bottom