Most important thing for freshwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheers but I don't have a sump on any tank.
Most of my tanks were built before I even knew what a sump really was!

I'm Using sand and internal filters on one tank.
(Medium planted low tech) normal stock. (8 fish 110 litre) all catfish. Glass cats and 2 plecs, one is growing out here.
This doesn't even conform to the accepted convention, the sand layer is 1" or less but it has a flow rig in that may be affecting things? That or the few rocks? Only two are on the floor, one is on the rig (weighs it down) with good space below.
Not sure, all I know is it always reads low! It normally only gets frozen food.
I only clean this tank to remove the ridiculous amount of plec poo! If it's left, the readings are low 0-3ppm but you need a spade to get the muck out!

Sand and externals on one tank. (120litre)
(Quite heavy planted low tech) well stocked.(technically overstocked)
1" sand (1"-2" substrate over maybe 40% of the tank).
This gets a good food mix everyday.
Loads of wood, covers a decent area of the footprint.
Cory Catfish and tetra.

These both record low nitrate. 0-3ppm I still do water changes but even if I leave it there is no real increase unless I disturb things, but it quickly recovers, both should have higher levels (according to other systems I have, nitrate should be 10-30 week to week, the first tank is often immeasurable, tanks with no substrate need water changes at least every week or more, these are 45,60 no subs & 110litres thin subs)
These tanks, the 45&60 have only one fish each, the 110 is stocked, 16 tetra 5 Cory.

The third system has an experimental remote dsb on it.
It might not work but it's too early to say, fingers crossed!
The last time I set this tank up it had a deep substrate and low nitrate, it was really well stocked and wasn't really planted (it had few plants, plec proof anubias and two giant amazon swords)
stock was 11 clown loach, 18"&15" plec, 28 peppered Cory catfish.
It's too much to say what's happening with this tank!
Loads of rocks (250kg approx)
half substrate at depth. Mixed blend, sand/gravel. Problems, hence the experiment! (750litre) last time around this tank ran sweet.

The key is creating anaerobic/anoxic conditions in parts of the substrate. Areas with less flow, under wood or rocks seems to be beneficial but I can't confirm this as I have had other "things" going on, sand/gravel etc.
Basically smaller particle substrates need less depth to create correct conditions.

Confusing? A little bit! But the pattern is quite clear!

Wow !!! The real question is how long did it take you to type that ??!!!! Looks like you have everything down pat!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I just wanted to start a little convo here, say what do YOU believe is the most IMPORTANT thing for freshwater tanks,

In my opinion I believe water changes are VITAL, your tank will not become anything with out constant water changes. They take the bad stuff out and put the good stuff back in. If any of you like myself are Into plants, next time you do a water change watch how the plants "perk" up a couple hours after you've completed it.
Now let's here your thoughts

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Agree. Just PWC interval is very individual. I change water (30%) once a month (in high-planted 47 gal). Besides, I must dose 2 x 10 ml of KNO3 (6g in 0.5l) each day because of low nitrate. And it works so far...

Agree. Just PWC interval is very individual. I change water (30%) once a month (in high-planted 47 gal). Besides, I must dose 2 x 10 ml of KNO3 (6g in 0.5l) each day because of low nitrate. And it works so far...

I wish I had low nitrates!!!! My nitrates are always so high!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I wish I had low nitrates!!!! My nitrates are always so high!!!

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

It's because you're overstocked or under maintained. That's one thing that can totally be controlled..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's because you're overstocked or under maintained. That's one thing that can totally be controlled..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do water changed 50% every week and according to aqua advisor I'm at 80 percent for stocking

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

How high are they?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I could be wrong, but did you mention that there were nitrates in your tap water?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yea around 15 ppm in my tap water... But in the tank they go close to 60 ppm

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Too high indeed! Overstocked tank (overfeeding fish?)? More often PWC... and plants, plants, plants....! :flowers:

Aqua advisor has me around 85% stocked.... I do water changes 40- 50% every Sunday...

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Aqua advisor has me around 85% stocked.... I do water changes 40- 50% every Sunday...

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Since it comes out of the tap at 15 ppm, the nitrate would be around 45 ppm if it was 0 ppm out of the tap which is still high considering the volume of the weekly water changes you are performing. IMO AquaAdvisor is not taking into account the elevated nitrate out of the tap.
You could try doing WCs 2x a week and see how it affects the nitrate level.

You might be overfeeding?

Since it comes out of the tap at 15 ppm, the nitrate would be around 45 ppm if it was 0 ppm out of the tap which is still high considering the volume of the weekly water changes you are performing. IMO AquaAdvisor is not taking into account the elevated nitrate out of the tap.
You could try doing WCs 2x a week and see how it affects the nitrate level.

I think it's due to my substrate as there's a thick black layer right underneath my sand

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

The nitrates are shocking. Maybe surprising would be a better word. I've never seen that shade of red in a test tube.

Are you sure its that high and not just in the color matching?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom