Most important thing for freshwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just wanted to start a little convo here, say what do YOU believe is the most IMPORTANT thing for freshwater tanks,

In my opinion I believe water changes are VITAL, your tank will not become anything with out constant water changes. They take the bad stuff out and put the good stuff back in. If any of you like myself are Into plants, next time you do a water change watch how the plants "perk" up a couple hours after you've completed it.
Now let's here your thoughts

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I might have to agree with Water Changes, especially in the cycling stages. In the end thats how you get your ammonia levels back to normal isnt it?

I might have to agree with Water Changes, especially in the cycling stages. In the end thats how you get your ammonia levels back to normal isnt it?

That's what I believe, you could have the best filtration but that just to catch and and "clean" particles. It doesn't magically "remove" nitrates, nitrites and ammonia like water changes do ?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Um it does convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate if you are filtered properly and cycled.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How about water? Got to have water before you can change it:lol: Sorry... could'nt help myself:popcorn:

Um it does convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate if you are filtered properly and cycled.

Indeed it does, we were briefly talking about cycling...sorry

Ah yes fish in is a different story

Indeed it does, we were briefly talking about cycling...sorry

Yea haha it's all good. It's just that i feel that water quality is everything and u could never be successful with out jt

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

You are correct. 1 of my tanks requires a 75% water change twice a week to keep the trAtes under 20

You are correct. 1 of my tanks requires a 75% water change twice a week to keep the trAtes under 20

Well you are committed to your tanks so If you were overstocked I would even worry about it... Another thing is a lot of people dread on water changes but I actually like it. I love how clean the tank looks after and how much more active the fish become

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Well you are committed to your tanks so If you were overstocked I would even worry about it... Another thing is a lot of people dread on water changes but I actually like it. I love how clean the tank looks after and how much more active the fish become

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Me too, my new 55g doesnt even need a WC yet, but ive been scrubbing away at the sides to make sure its sparkly clean...is it weird I cant wait for my first WC?

Me too, my new 55g doesnt even need a WC yet, but ive been scrubbing away at the sides to make sure its sparkly clean...is it weird I cant wait for my first WC?

Haha Not to me!!! What's your stock for that bad boy 55 g

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Haha Not to me!!! What's your stock for that bad boy 55 g

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Currently, and mind you we set it up Friday -

3x Gold DGs
3x Cobalt DGs
2x DBTs (not doing so hot, wont until my new sat plus pro light gets in)
1x Aqua Fern
1x Amazon Sword
2x Java Fern
1x Aponogeton Ulvaces
2x Driftwood Pieces (theyre freakin rad)
1x rock formation
1x downed mig fighter (see below)

Those dumb lines are what I was talking about scrubbing. i couldnt handle it after i took this pic, glass is squeaky clean now!

Currently, and mind you we set it up Friday -

3x Gold DGs

3x Cobalt DGs

2x DBTs (not doing so hot, wont until my new sat plus pro light gets in)

1x Aqua Fern

1x Amazon Sword

2x Java Fern

1x Aponogeton Ulvaces

2x Driftwood Pieces (theyre freakin rad)

1x rock formation

1x downed mig fighter (see below)

Those dumb lines are what I was talking about scrubbing. i couldnt handle it after i took this pic, glass is squeaky clean now!

I like you plant positioning!!! In time I think u might want to move your so back so it gives some depth to the tank while u can add some crypts Infront of it. Love your apongaton ulvaceus ( not good with the spelling)

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I like you plant positioning!!! In time I think u might want to move your so back so it gives some depth to the tank while u can add some crypts Infront of it. Love your apongaton ulvaceus ( not good with the spelling)

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

move my so back? whats so?

Ahhh yes thats possible, however if i move it to far back, the wavemaker makes the leaves go CRAZY!

Ohhhh didn't see that there!!! Seems you have a ton of filtration and water movement

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Ohhhh didn't see that there!!! Seems you have a ton of filtration and water movement

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Yes, more than I need now, but when its fully planted and i get my stock level near 90%-100% it will certainly be needed. I might try to put the amazon sword in the back when I get some smaller foreground plants.

Yes, more than I need now, but when its fully planted and i get my stock level near 90%-100% it will certainly be needed. I might try to put the amazon sword in the back when I get some smaller foreground plants.

A plant I recommend Is dwarf sag...
I love that plant, grows great in the front. Also baby tears but u need some high lighting for those

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Back
Top Bottom