Most interesting FW puffer for 75g or less?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
Still a bit off before I can put this together (planning on moving in February and don't want to move yet another tank), but I've always wanted to have a FW puffer tank. I figured I could at least get things planned out so I can start working on it after the move. Tank size is TBD based on the puffer's needs, but I'm aiming for something in the 75 gallon-ish range so I can keep something other than the itty bitty puffers.

I've never kept brackish before so I'd prefer to stick to pure freshwater... What puffer species would you recommend as the most interactive, busy, and personable that doesn't get absolutely massive (AKA no Mbu, as much as I'd LOVE to keep one they're just too huge)?

Maybe a group of 6 South American Puffers? I'm just nervous about the dentistry requirement... What do you guys think?

I'd take this question over to thepufferforum.com but I can help you for now! The only (common) freshwater puffers besides SAP's are fahaka and mbu, and they would be too big for a 75. One prominent puffer keeper (know as "RTR") kept SAP's for many years and found he never had to clip their beaks if he fed them 95% snails.

So here's what I'd do:

1. Go with the SAP's (5 minimum otherwise they won't feel secure) in the 75 and either go with more SAP's OR add some peaceful freshwater fish. SAP's, unlike other puffers, won't bully fish but rather get bullied. Whatever you add has to be very peaceful.

2. Set up a snail breeder tank so that you can satisfy this 95% requirement. Remember, the more SAP's you have the larger your snail colony will have to be.

One last thing, make sure they are pond snails or ramshorn snails! MTS snail shells are too hard for them. Go visit the library section of the puffer forum, too, they have a good article on SAP's. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the above except SAP's aren't for the novice puffer keeper they are very difficult to keep.

Unfortunately smaller fresh water puffers aren't personable all the ones you can keep in a 75 are ambush predators they sit half buried most of the day except feeding time.

Brackish isn't very difficult I would give it a look if you really want puffers.

One cautionary note with brackish, if you do it, do Figure 8's instead of Green Spotted Puffers.

I have 2 GSP's and since they require higher end brackish, it's a pain because of the masses of salts you need to premix for the puffers big water changes. With the GSP's, it's much easier to go full marine (and likely better for them, too), as you'll be doing 10% water changes instead of 25-50%.

If I had to do it all over again I'd either do SAP's in fresh, F8's in low end brackish, or GSP's in full marine. I've never owned SAP's so I can't comment on their personality but I can tell you that GSP's have bags of it.

I have two f8 puffers in a brackish tank. They have been going strong for about 8 months now. Brackish is really no different from fresh, only you have to add some marine salt to the new water with every change (I do 1 tablespoon per gallon). Everything else is the same as freshwater. They are funny and needy! They will try to grab your attention as soon as you walk in the room. They see me from far away, too. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'll add that it's best to premix it in a bucket with a powerhead 24-48hrs prior to adding it. Aside from the cost, this is the only thing that annoys me about brackish – that I have to prepare for my water changes 1-2 days in advance.

I'll add that it's best to premix it in a bucket with a powerhead 24-48hrs prior to adding it. Aside from the cost, this is the only thing that annoys me about brackish – that I have to prepare for my water changes 1-2 days in advance.

I must admit that I do not premix. I just stir it well and put it in. It's been working fine.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would do that but my bacteria had some issues adapting to the salt so I'm worried I'll kill off the colony!

There are also hairy puffer, dragon, red eye, avocado, pea,etc. there are many fully freshwater species, however, as previously stated, most of these are ambush predators (hairy, dragon, red eye) and the others don't play well with tank mates. A fahaka would be your best bet, but I do believe they'll out grow a 75, but don't quote me on that

Back
Top Bottom