Move causing cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwilson24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

We just moved, and as such, the fish got an upgrade to a 120g from a 90.

On Friday, I drained the old tank, kept the fish and some water in a large 10g bucket with a bubbler.

The water on Friday started cloudy and cleared up. Yesterday morning, it was cloudy again. I tested the water, ammonia was .25, nitrite 0, and nitrate around 5. I did a 20% water change. Today, the water was still cloudy, and we lost one of our blood parrots :( I tested again, ammonia was .25, nitrite was .5, and I did not test nitrate.

To note, I kept all the gravel and filter media, the filter is an FX4, which I kept wet and did not clean, so as to keep the beneficial bacteria.

If this is a mini cycle, what’s best to do, besides water changes? How long should it last?

Thanks

If you are seeing ammonia then your cycle has been affected. But, those water parameters arent hazardous to fish, so unless your ammonia spiked much, much higher than what you are currently seeing that isnt the cause of your fishes death.

Did you acclimate the fish to the new tanks water conditions before adding them?

The move itself potentially is the issue, in my experience it can cause a good amount of stress especially for larger fish.

Back
Top Bottom