Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Move my 37gal fish tank today...

So to help be able to vacume my gravel and do maintiance on my tank I moved it onto a desk today. Did I do everything right? I always hear horror stories of people vacuming their gravel after not doing it for a long time and their fish getting ill.

First I moved my fish and their filters into a giant plastic storage container with tank water. Brand new but I scrubbed it down with water and a cloth first. Then we moved the tank onto the desk. I was so scared the glass bottom was going to crack O.o

Then I vacumed 1/4 of the gravel and now I've put the fish and the filters back in with about 7gallons of water back from the tub and the old tank water that was left then 10 fresh gallons of water that I'm warming to the correct tempurature now. Did I miss anything super important? I dont want them getting sick.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavp View Post
So to help be able to vacume my gravel and do maintiance on my tank I moved it onto a desk today. Did I do everything right? I always hear horror stories of people vacuming their gravel after not doing it for a long time and their fish getting ill.

First I moved my fish and their filters into a giant plastic storage container with tank water. Brand new but I scrubbed it down with water and a cloth first. Then we moved the tank onto the desk. I was so scared the glass bottom was going to crack O.o

Then I vacumed 1/4 of the gravel and now I've put the fish and the filters back in with about 7gallons of water back from the tub and the old tank water that was left then 10 fresh gallons of water that I'm warming to the correct tempurature now. Did I miss anything super important? I dont want them getting sick.
Sounds good to me, you were right not to do all the gravel in one go..Is the water dirty or cloudy??

Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Sounds good to me, you were right not to do all the gravel in one go..Is the water dirty or cloudy??
A little cloudy but my aquaclear isnt running yet because the water level isnt high enough and the extra 10gals isnt warmed up yet. I even have a heater in it to try and warm that water up faster.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A little cloudy but my aquaclear isnt running yet because the water level isnt high enough and the extra 10gals isnt warmed up yet. I even have a heater in it to try and warm that water up faster.
Can you not just add a bit of hot water to it, that's what i do???
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Can you not just add a bit of hot water to it, that's what i do???
My tap water has 40ppms of nitrates....so I'd have to run over to my friends house to get more water and then boil it on the stove
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My tap water has 40ppms of nitrates....so I'd have to run over to my friends house to get more water and then boil it on the stove
Sorry forgot about your nitrate issue!!, you could always take some out of the 10g's and heat that up...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Sorry forgot about your nitrate issue!!, you could always take some out of the 10g's and heat that up...
I'll give that a shot. I think one of my goldies has a fungus.... Its really hard to spot things on my orange fish and taking a good look at her today I spotted it. Its small though so I think I caught it early.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sounds like you did everything right. You could definitely take some of the water and heat it up.

Hope your fish are happy in their new home!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice_016 View Post
Sounds like you did everything right. You could definitely take some of the water and heat it up.

Hope your fish are happy in their new home!
Thanks me too I've been planning to move their tank for a few weeks now.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

That should work, good luck with it and i hope your fish gets better...Ian

Tags
move, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com