Move my 37gal fish tank today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So to help be able to vacume my gravel and do maintiance on my tank I moved it onto a desk today. Did I do everything right? I always hear horror stories of people vacuming their gravel after not doing it for a long time and their fish getting ill.

First I moved my fish and their filters into a giant plastic storage container with tank water. Brand new but I scrubbed it down with water and a cloth first. Then we moved the tank onto the desk. I was so scared the glass bottom was going to crack o_O

Then I vacumed 1/4 of the gravel and now I've put the fish and the filters back in with about 7gallons of water back from the tub and the old tank water that was left then 10 fresh gallons of water that I'm warming to the correct tempurature now. Did I miss anything super important? I dont want them getting sick.

So to help be able to vacume my gravel and do maintiance on my tank I moved it onto a desk today. Did I do everything right? I always hear horror stories of people vacuming their gravel after not doing it for a long time and their fish getting ill.

First I moved my fish and their filters into a giant plastic storage container with tank water. Brand new but I scrubbed it down with water and a cloth first. Then we moved the tank onto the desk. I was so scared the glass bottom was going to crack o_O

Then I vacumed 1/4 of the gravel and now I've put the fish and the filters back in with about 7gallons of water back from the tub and the old tank water that was left then 10 fresh gallons of water that I'm warming to the correct tempurature now. Did I miss anything super important? I dont want them getting sick.
Sounds good to me, you were right not to do all the gravel in one go..Is the water dirty or cloudy??

Sounds good to me, you were right not to do all the gravel in one go..Is the water dirty or cloudy??

A little cloudy but my aquaclear isnt running yet because the water level isnt high enough and the extra 10gals isnt warmed up yet. I even have a heater in it to try and warm that water up faster.

A little cloudy but my aquaclear isnt running yet because the water level isnt high enough and the extra 10gals isnt warmed up yet. I even have a heater in it to try and warm that water up faster.
Can you not just add a bit of hot water to it, that's what i do???

Can you not just add a bit of hot water to it, that's what i do???

My tap water has 40ppms of nitrates....so I'd have to run over to my friends house to get more water and then boil it on the stove

My tap water has 40ppms of nitrates....so I'd have to run over to my friends house to get more water and then boil it on the stove
Sorry forgot about your nitrate issue!!, you could always take some out of the 10g's and heat that up...

Sorry forgot about your nitrate issue!!, you could always take some out of the 10g's and heat that up...

I'll give that a shot. I think one of my goldies has a fungus.... Its really hard to spot things on my orange fish and taking a good look at her today I spotted it. Its small though so I think I caught it early.

Sounds like you did everything right. You could definitely take some of the water and heat it up.

Hope your fish are happy in their new home!

Sounds like you did everything right. You could definitely take some of the water and heat it up.

Hope your fish are happy in their new home!

Thanks me too :) I've been planning to move their tank for a few weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom