Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, our house is on the market, and we are going to be moving at some point. It's only gonna be about twenty minutes away. I have a ten gallon tank that has three black skirt tetras, and two guppies. What is the best way to move the tank and fish in general, without causing me and the fish stress?

Thanks, but I forgot to mention it's only gonna be about twenty minutes away, I'll edit that in.

Easy answer... Drain the tank, put the fish in a bucket or buckets, keep the substrate wet and the filter media wet... set up at your new place, de-chlorinate, acclimate fish, done.

When I moved I emptied my 10g tank until there was like 3 inches of water to keep the gravel wet. I put my filters content into a small bucket with tank water and I put my little babies in big buckets with the rest of my tank water and it worked just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

my only suggestion is be 100% sure of where you're putting it... it's a pain to move it afterwards. And don't break your tank in the moving process. I almost did... I would have cried like a baby... and don't try and take your water with you. it's just dirty water after all.

I'll probably do a 50% pwc before, but not replace the water, and then put the fish in a bucket with 25% of the water, and leave the rest in. I'm still confused on what do do with the filter though.

Homedog98 said:
I'll probably do a 50% pwc before, but not replace the water, and then put the fish in a bucket with 25% of the water, and leave the rest in. I'm still confused on what do do with the filter though.

You have to keep the filter media wet in tank water so the bacteria doesn't die.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Mine were in a bucket and probably submerged most of the time. But during the journey I am sure they will have moved around a lot.

Back
Top Bottom