Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my other thread briefly talked about what should happen when I move. I move the day after tomorrow. Btw I am fifteen and I am with my family and we are moving out of NYC to a more suburban neighborhood about half an hour away. We are taking all the tanks with us.

So this is what is going to happen. The moving people said that all fish tanks need to be emptied before transportation, so yesterday I bought 2 buckets at my hardware store and an airstone with tube lining to keep the buckets aerated for the fish.

One bucket we bought yesterday was 10 gallons and it should hold all the fish from the 40 gallon tank until the evening, where they will be put back in their home. The other bucket was for the filters and plants. To reserve media, I am going to take the carbon replaceable pad out of my Aqueon 50 and put it in the water filled bucket along with plants.

And for the 10 gallon, which only contains marbled crayfish, I'd separate the crayfish into another bucket which I already have, and move their sponge filter to the other bucket I bought yesterday to go along with the Aqueon 50 and the plants.

Does this all sound good?

No. The trip is only half an hour, it's the setting up which we need a plug in air pump for ^_^

We are moving tomorrow can someone please respond

If you have all glass tanks, you may want to set them up and let them run overnight before adding your fish back into them. Tanks that have been set up for a while tend to not adjust well when moved. Make sure you use styrofoam under the tank to absorb any movement of the glass so it doesn't break.
Keeping the fish in an aerated bucket overnight is no big thing. I just moved some fish from NJ to FL and they were in buckets and bags for a week with only having the bags open and aerated at night at motels.

Also, make sure your new water is the same as your old water or you will need to reacclimate the fish as well.
Hope this helps(y)

If you have all glass tanks, you may want to set them up and let them run overnight before adding your fish back into them. Tanks that have been set up for a while tend to not adjust well when moved. Make sure you use styrofoam under the tank to absorb any movement of the glass so it doesn't break.
Keeping the fish in an aerated bucket overnight is no big thing. I just moved some fish from NJ to FL and they were in buckets and bags for a week with only having the bags open and aerated at night at motels.

Also, make sure your new water is the same as your old water or you will need to reacclimate the fish as well.
Hope this helps(y)

Helped a lot. We have packed the tanks in styrofoam and the fish are in aerated buckets. This looks like a good move!

A bit of a change in plans. My idiot management in my old apartment building denied all usage of the BACK DOOR ELEVATOR, which is MEANT for moving. So all transport of household objects were delayed, and we were set a few hours back. So there is a chance that the fish need to stay in the aerated bucket overnight. All fish look ok so far, just making sure the 40 gallons worth of fish can really survive in this 7 gallon bucket (turns out it was like 7 gallons.)

A bit of a change in plans. My idiot management in my old apartment building denied all usage of the BACK DOOR ELEVATOR, which is MEANT for moving. So all transport of household objects were delayed, and we were set a few hours back. So there is a chance that the fish need to stay in the aerated bucket overnight. All fish look ok so far, just making sure the 40 gallons worth of fish can really survive in this 7 gallon bucket (turns out it was like 7 gallons.)

They will be okay. Just change half the water out before bed

Back
Top Bottom