Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Moving

Ok so my other thread briefly talked about what should happen when I move. I move the day after tomorrow. Btw I am fifteen and I am with my family and we are moving out of NYC to a more suburban neighborhood about half an hour away. We are taking all the tanks with us.

So this is what is going to happen. The moving people said that all fish tanks need to be emptied before transportation, so yesterday I bought 2 buckets at my hardware store and an airstone with tube lining to keep the buckets aerated for the fish.

One bucket we bought yesterday was 10 gallons and it should hold all the fish from the 40 gallon tank until the evening, where they will be put back in their home. The other bucket was for the filters and plants. To reserve media, I am going to take the carbon replaceable pad out of my Aqueon 50 and put it in the water filled bucket along with plants.

And for the 10 gallon, which only contains marbled crayfish, I'd separate the crayfish into another bucket which I already have, and move their sponge filter to the other bucket I bought yesterday to go along with the Aqueon 50 and the plants.

Does this all sound good?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We are moving tomorrow can someone please respond

Old 08-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes sounds fine. Did you get a battery operated air pump?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No. The trip is only half an hour, it's the setting up which we need a plug in air pump for ^_^
Old 08-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobjoefredsky View Post
No. The trip is only half an hour, it's the setting up which we need a plug in air pump for ^_^
I replied to your other thread about this move
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
We are moving tomorrow can someone please respond
If you have all glass tanks, you may want to set them up and let them run overnight before adding your fish back into them. Tanks that have been set up for a while tend to not adjust well when moved. Make sure you use styrofoam under the tank to absorb any movement of the glass so it doesn't break.
Keeping the fish in an aerated bucket overnight is no big thing. I just moved some fish from NJ to FL and they were in buckets and bags for a week with only having the bags open and aerated at night at motels.

Also, make sure your new water is the same as your old water or you will need to reacclimate the fish as well.
Hope this helps
Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

If you have all glass tanks, you may want to set them up and let them run overnight before adding your fish back into them. Tanks that have been set up for a while tend to not adjust well when moved. Make sure you use styrofoam under the tank to absorb any movement of the glass so it doesn't break.
Keeping the fish in an aerated bucket overnight is no big thing. I just moved some fish from NJ to FL and they were in buckets and bags for a week with only having the bags open and aerated at night at motels.

Also, make sure your new water is the same as your old water or you will need to reacclimate the fish as well.
Hope this helps
Helped a lot. We have packed the tanks in styrofoam and the fish are in aerated buckets. This looks like a good move!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A bit of a change in plans. My idiot management in my old apartment building denied all usage of the BACK DOOR ELEVATOR, which is MEANT for moving. So all transport of household objects were delayed, and we were set a few hours back. So there is a chance that the fish need to stay in the aerated bucket overnight. All fish look ok so far, just making sure the 40 gallons worth of fish can really survive in this 7 gallon bucket (turns out it was like 7 gallons.)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A bit of a change in plans. My idiot management in my old apartment building denied all usage of the BACK DOOR ELEVATOR, which is MEANT for moving. So all transport of household objects were delayed, and we were set a few hours back. So there is a chance that the fish need to stay in the aerated bucket overnight. All fish look ok so far, just making sure the 40 gallons worth of fish can really survive in this 7 gallon bucket (turns out it was like 7 gallons.)
They will be okay. Just change half the water out before bed
Old 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's all good! They are all in the tank and healthy
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
It's all good! They are all in the tank and healthy
Glad to hear everything went accordingly minus the overnight setback!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com