Moving...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djbrefik

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 125g cichlid tank and will be moving. I would lime to re-establish this tank in the new residence. Can anyone give me any ideas on how to do that? Or point me in the right direction to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The new place won't be more than 10-15 min away.

Put the fish in a temporary container. Depending on the size and number fish it could be something like a bucket or a very large rubbermaid container. Fill it up with water from your tank. The biggest issue you need to worry is making sure the fish stay oxygenated. The easiest way to do this is with a small air pump.

Once the fish are in a new home drain all the water from the tank. You don't want to transport it with the water. Make sure your filter media stays wet to keep your bacteria alive. If you have a canister filter leave it full of water if you have a HOB filter than submerge the media in tank water. during transport.

On the other side, refill the tank, dechlorinate if needed. If the temp of your tap water is very different from the tank water bring it to the correct temp. Replace the filter media and setup the filter. At this point you should reacclimate the fish as if you were bringing them home from the store.

It should be pretty easy really, just make sure you run the air pump on both sides.

You make it sound so easy.

7 cichlids
1 catfish
1 loach
1 pleco

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Transport them either individually in plastic bags which you can normall pick up from a lfs if you ask. Or place them in a large garbage bin. Make sure it's a new bin though. Follow Daltos steps that's what id do.

I've moved twice. I didn't lose a single fish. I recommend going to petco or petsmart and asking the associate for a bunch of bags and rubber bands. Bag fish yourself. Do not breathe into bag. Catch the air. It will take a few tries. But it's a good way. You only have a few fish. I had to do it with over 20. Plus I had driftwood and live plants. It will take a while. Act swiftly but don't rush. Set aside 7-8 hours.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom