moving???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unicorn2tears

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm going to be moving soon to a much nicer place that is just a 1/2 hour drive from where I currently am. The problem is, what do I do with my tank??? It's just under a year old and I'd hate to have to tear it down completely. How do I move the fish? How do I keep all the happy bacteria alive (just toss the filter in a bucket or something else?) There are also a few plants in the tank that I would rather not lose. I have a spare 10 gal that has been taken down if that would help in any way.

In case the specifics help:

29 gal
3 angels (juvenile)
1 black ghost knife (young/small)
3 cory cats
2 swordtails
5 different species of plants scattered about

Thanks all!

When I moved my 55 gal and 29 gal I used a lot of coolers and buckets. I filled them up with the water from the tank and used battery operated air pumps for aeration. I left the gravel in the bottom of both tanks. The travel time was about 30 - 40 minutes. Then I put the new tanks up,
poured in the water from the buckets, added some fresh water, got the filters running for a little while and started putting in the fish. I have a total of 25 fish between the two tanks - a few Balas 6" - 8" and two Irridescents nearly 12". It was pretty noisy in the car with the fish jumping around hitting the top of the partially closed coolers. :lol: It was not a fun experience. Very stressful for me and the fish - but all survived!! Good luck with your move.

I know what you are going through. Atleast you are close. As long as the filter is moist and has access to oxygen they will last the trip. I would suggest buckets and coolers for the fish. They should cope with the move.

I am thinking of moving (if I get the job), but it is over 3000 km away! I have to start over...dammit. And I had a really nice specimen of a discus. Atleast I know a reliable source and will start again on a positive note.

When my husband and I moved from Moscow, Idaho to Calgary, it took two days in subfreezing temps. At the time, we had only the 80 and 29 gal tanks. All the fish went into coolers and a battery operated airpump was used. The water was drained from the tank, but not the filters ( :oops:). Anyway, you will have no trouble taking your fish with you. With a bit of planning, all will go well.

Back
Top Bottom