moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vjpthe2nd

Aquarium Advice Newbie

i will be moveing next month, i have a 30 gal. and a 10gal. tank. what is the best way to move them?
it is about 15 or 20 minutes to the new location .both tankes had been up for app.2years.all advice is wellcome i dont want to lose any fish in this move please fell free to email me by clicking on the e-mail link below thanks everybody

First thing is dont try to move a tank with alot of water in it. Water is rather heavy per gal and moving a tank with water can stress the tank and yourself to a great degree. Splashing water and shifting weight can cause the glass to crake or cause the seals on the tank to leak.

Best thing would be to drain the tank as low as you can saving most of the water in 5 gal buckets. Put your fish ina bucket that is 3/4th full of water You might be able to move the tanks with the gravel in them and maybe enough water to cover the gravels. If thats to heavy then you will have to scoop the gravels out and put in a bucket and keep them covered in water.

Have the tanks be the last thing you tear down and move and the first things you set up when you get to the new location. If your moving slowly over a period of a few days then move the tanks last so as your not having to move stuff in around the tanks in the new location.

If you cant transport all the water have some water ready in the new location that has been treated with declorinator and is up to tank water temperature.

When I brought my fish back from college I used a styrofoam cooler and cut holes in the top of it. THis was a six hour trip and the fish were fine.

I recently helped a friend move a 75gal Chiclid tank exactly as fishfreek described. We moved all of the water over in 5 gallon buckets, put the fish, the filter media and the plants in with the water, left enough water to keep the gravel wet and moved it all 30 minutes down the road. We wrapped the tank up pretty thickly in shipping blankets, and set it up right away when it was moved. The plants didn't seem happy for a bit after the move, but they perked up quickly enough. That was the only problem. And that a 75 gal tank with two inches of gravel and water on the bottom is still extremely heavy, we had four guys on it.

And about a month 1/2 after the move, his chiclids spawned for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom