Moving a 135 gal empty tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizardndog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to move a 135 gal glass tank (200 lbs). I have looked at suction cups with handles that supposedly have a 280 lbs lift capacity and are used for glass. I am worried that if I just have a couple of big guys lift it by hand, they will rack the tank around and possible pop the seals. Has anyone tried the industrial suction cups for moving a big tank?

135g is not really big enough for suction cups, 2 guys should be able to easily carry this. Just make sure they carry from the bottom and you will not have to worry about the braces coming off.

My husband and I carried both of our 125 g tanks with no problem. Both tanks are set up and the seals are fine..

i carried my 150 in by myself, in the rain :( It never leaked a drop (knock on wood)...btw, i would never recommend this, especially if it is raining... a 150g tank is very very heavy, im sure a 135 isnt much lighter...

as mudfrog stated just be sure they dont try to pick it up by the top rim and it should be fine. you might want to use the suction cups to help get a hold underneath but i wouldn't trust carrying the tank by them. I have installed commercial glass windows with the professional cups that cost $75 a piece and have had them pop off.

Back
Top Bottom