Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2003, 12:42 AM   #1

Moving a filled tank

I have a 56 All Glass corner tank, on the same manufacturer's wood cabinet stand. It is on a smooth wood floor. Is it ridiculous (disasterous!) to try to move it a couple of inches by just pushing the stand?

I guess the tank weighs 600lbs.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well atleast drain some of the water if your going to, and make sure you have a couple people with you for counter balence.

Personally I wouldn't bother unless there is no other way.

4 Bronze corys
1 Apple snail (growing at an alarming rate!)
Capt.Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just recenlty moved my 30 gal from one corner of the living room to the other, not very far. But the only, safet and easiest way to do this is to remove most of the water to make it possible to move. Even if you have to remove some of the fish. I took out most of my fish and put them in pails with the tall plants and water from the tank and then moved the tank. It was much safer and faster then trying to move a full tank!!! Two minutes after the fish were back in the tank it was if nothing had ever happened to them.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I would strongly advise against moving a tank that size when it is full, even a few inches. Definitely drain it down as much as you can before doing it, as it is just not worth it if the stand breaks. The stand is supporting an incredible amount of weight, which means a very high center of gravity, as the stand is nowhere near the same weight. As long as the force is vertical, that is coming straight down towards the floor and is pushing against the strongest part of the stand, there is no problem. When you move it, the tank is likely to move slightly further than the stand, and the support beneath can't handle the weight at a slight angle, and down comes the whole thing.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

FYI 55gl of water = approx 210 kg. ur tank support might collapse if u move it as movement shift the gravity center of the tank.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Neuve Send a message via MSN to Neuve Send a message via Yahoo to Neuve
Im scared Lol
Hey just by curiosity, Why you wanna move it? If we may know
Old 09-30-2003, 11:18 PM   #7

Want to move it for no interesting reason...just need a bit more space adjacent to it for something else.

thanks, to all, for the good advice...I won't move it unless I remove most of the water first.

Tags
led, moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com