Moving Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimmingWithTheFishes

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend asked me a question and now I feel I must know. How can you move a 125 gallon FW tank (I dont know how many fish she has all I know for sure is some zebra danio and a plecotumous? but she certainly has more than that. So I read a bunch of other moving stories, but none this far. It is almost an 11hr drive.

Is it a lost cause? Will it work? how? Any advice? Thank in advance!

11 hours is a long ways, that's for sure. But, it's definately doable. Think of it like this, people ship fish all the time; overnight, 2 day shipping, etc. If that's possible, 11 hours is doable.

Keep in mind, I've never done a move that took more than an hour, personally.

Temperature is the hardest part IMO. this is easily overcome by coolers or some insulated storage. Depending on time of year will determine the rest, i.e. heatpacks, etc.

Kordon breather bags would be the way to go as well I think. These are popular for shippers since the bags breathe and exchange gases for the water, without having a finite O2 supply stored in the bag.

Keeping the filter media wet is the most critical, however. Bacteria can survive at higher temperatures, and for a few days without a food source, but if they dry out they're done for. Keeping the media wet and bacteria alive is going to save you the trouble of a full on cycle after you get the tank setup at the new location.

What I did, although I didn't move 11 hours away, was purchase clean rubbermaid containers and some battery operated airstones. I waited as long as possible and put the fish in the containers and ran the air stones. I didn't feed them the day before so they would not produce as much waste to create ammonia.

Temp is the hardest part. If they can they may have to run a heater off a battery operated mini generator. Mind you since it is summer it may not be necessary.

Definately keep the filter media wet.

Back
Top Bottom