Moving Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

underdog5004

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all. I'm going to be moving this weekend across town, maybe 2 miles away. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone wants to give some moving advice to me? I have a 5G, 10G, 15G, 29G and 55G tank. I think I can just put the 5G in a garbage bag and carry it to my car, but what about the larger tanks? Should I do the bigger ones or smaller ones first?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post

since its close you can make a couple trips. get a couple 5 gallon buckets or rubbermaid tubs. i tend to drop the water line down by 50% catch the fish. remove the hard scape and put the substrate in another bucket keeping it wet. also put the media from the filters in with the fish or substrate. the 5-15gallons you might be able to get away with moving them with the substrate it but personally i hate to risk it. depending on the fish in the 55 gallon 2-3 buckets might be needed for the fish. then you empty the tanks move them set them back up with the substrate filters heaters. get the temp matching and net the fish out and put them back into the tank(this is assuming the water is the same ph kh gh). if the water is different just act like they are new fish and slowly acclimate them.

the prep work is the main key have the buckets ready to go know where you are putting the other tanks. i would do bigger to small just because it might get tiresome moving tank after tank. just keep the substrate and media wet and everything will be fine.

good luck.

yes. the longer the trip the more you should use air pump. just make sure to keep the temps up in the car so the water doesnt get too cold.

I suggest rubbermaid bins with lids rather than open buckets .. you don't want to spill half of the water in your car! <For that reason I wouldn't just move the 5 gal in a plastic bag ...>

For a 2 mile trip, you can just leave the tubs closed with a bit of an air gap & remove the lids once you get to your new place while you are setting up the tank. For longer trips, you might want to drill a hole in the lid & put in an airstone. <Although I have transported my goldies for a 4 hr car trip in a totally sealed tub with ~1/3 air.>

If it is cold (like -40 tonight here! :( ) you would want to insulate the tubs with blankets or better yet use a cooler & maybe a hot water bottle.

Otherwise, keep everythign wet during the move & you should be fine.

fish travel the world for days at a time in plastic bags. I think they can handle a 2 mile trip. personally i would take all the filters and media and put them in a bag of used tank water. Bag all the fish and throw them in a bucket. All the water needs to go, as soon as you move the tanks you will see why. a literal Sh** storm.

you dont say what fish you have in the 55, if there is anything big, obviously they will need an appropriate sized container. You can go overboard with the air stones and packaging, but really you are talking about a matter of an hour in the bag. Longer if it takes a while to fill the tanks.

this might be an opportunity to redecorate the substrates too. Good luck with the move

Back
Top Bottom