Moving Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lcrino

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Let me start off by saying I am relatively new to having fish so I hope these questions aren’t stupid. But I am moving soon about 3 hours away from NY to PA. I have 10 fish (2 mollies, 2 neon tetras, and 6 glo tetras) and two ADF in a 20 gallon tank. My loose plan for moving them was just to drain the tank (save some of the water in a 5 gal bucket) and leave barely enough water on the substrate to keep it wet during the drive. I was going to put my fish and frogs in the 5 gal bucket and transport them like that. I would also fast them for 1-2 days before the move to reduce waste. Here are my questions:

Will 3 hours be short enough so that they don’t need any air pump/filtration/heater etc? Will they be okay in the stagnant water for just 3 hours?

Can I keep all the frogs and fish in the one 5 gal bucket since they are small or will I need a few?

Would bags (like you get from the pet store) placed in a cooler be a better option?

Will it be enough to keep my bacteria alive if I reserve some if my old water, keep my gravel wet, and keep the cartridge from my filter wet?

I’m sure there’s more questions I’ll think of but I just want to get some sort of idea so I’m not scrambling to figure this out last minute. I really just want to keep my fish all safe and healthy in the simplest and cheapest way possible so any additional advice is more than welcome!

I would use 50/50 tank water/tap water in the bucket. Double dose with prime. Battery powered air pump and stone.

Keeping anything that might have beneficial bacteria on it wet is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom