Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face Moving Advice!

Let me start off by saying I am relatively new to having fish so I hope these questions arenít stupid. But I am moving soon about 3 hours away from NY to PA. I have 10 fish (2 mollies, 2 neon tetras, and 6 glo tetras) and two ADF in a 20 gallon tank. My loose plan for moving them was just to drain the tank (save some of the water in a 5 gal bucket) and leave barely enough water on the substrate to keep it wet during the drive. I was going to put my fish and frogs in the 5 gal bucket and transport them like that. I would also fast them for 1-2 days before the move to reduce waste. Here are my questions:

Will 3 hours be short enough so that they donít need any air pump/filtration/heater etc? Will they be okay in the stagnant water for just 3 hours?

Can I keep all the frogs and fish in the one 5 gal bucket since they are small or will I need a few?

Would bags (like you get from the pet store) placed in a cooler be a better option?

Will it be enough to keep my bacteria alive if I reserve some if my old water, keep my gravel wet, and keep the cartridge from my filter wet?

Iím sure thereís more questions Iíll think of but I just want to get some sort of idea so Iím not scrambling to figure this out last minute. I really just want to keep my fish all safe and healthy in the simplest and cheapest way possible so any additional advice is more than welcome!

Old 10-13-2021, 03:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

I would use 50/50 tank water/tap water in the bucket. Double dose with prime. Battery powered air pump and stone.

Keeping anything that might have beneficial bacteria on it wet is a good idea.

Tags
advice, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com