Moving and temporary tank placement - help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Fluval Vista 23 with tetras, corries, and a bristlenose pleco.

I'm in the process of prepping my house to sell and the floors are being refinished next week, which means everything needs to be off the floors and out of the house. I'll be staying with a friend for a week or two.

It's been suggested that I set the tank up in the garage. I'm a bit worried because it gets pretty cold out there and I'm not sure if the tank's heater (an Ehemim) will be able to keep up and keep the fishies warm enough.

What do you all think? Is the tank heater enough? Is there a space heater I could put out there to help that would be safe to be on when unattended? Any other thoughts?

I'm pretty stressed about having to move the tank around a few times, let alone leaving them in the garage for a while.

Advice is appreciated.

Might set up in the garage, then cover it with a heavy blanket. That probably would hold in the heat well enough.

Radiator type portable heaters should be safe enough.
Most space heaters of today have safety devices that will keep it from getting too hot, or will cut power if it gets tipped over.
The best idea, as V227 said, is probably to cover the entire tank with a blanket.

How about using a large cooler for their temp home ?
Insulated and safe...May even keep water right temp.. You could test ahead of time ...

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a 1500W space heater to run in the garage. Hopefully that helps with the ambient temp for the fish as well as keeping my plants warm enough.

I guess I'll just make daily visits and keep as close an eye on things as I can.

Back
Top Bottom