moving aquarium within house....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wasn't sure what to title this thread or where to put it...so, mods, if it needs to be moved, please do.
Since I am now the owner of a 29g :)p) I have plans to move some of my other tanks around. I am going to put my two 10g tanks that I now have in my home office into the kitchen on a well-built, sturdy, long counter/cabinet top. Then, I am going to move the 29g into my home office. That way everyone can enjoy these cute shrimp without coming into my office while I am working (hee, hee). Now...question is.....today/tomorrow is my regular day to do my tank maintenance on all of my tanks (even the 2.5 g betta tanks). Would it be okay to take, say 75% of the water out of both of my 10g tanks so they would be easier to carry/move into the kitchen?? If I do that, do I need to take Bert and cories out of tank or could they stay in there while I moved them?? I would refill their water as soon as I got them to the kitchen. Secondly, would it be okay to do this on my new 10g shrimp tank? I have never had a shrimp tank before and don't know how much water I can take out safely. I have, give or take, 90 or so shrimp in there along with lots of plants.
Thanks for reading this far and helping me figure this out. I am anxious to get my 29g cycling.....:silly:

Will be fine. Optimally you would want to slide them on a flat surface, say piece of plywood, and then carry it over and slide it off the flat surface. Slow and steady. Even at 75% you'll have 10 gallons of water in there which can be a challenge if it starts sloshing (technical term). Be careful of stirring up the mulm also.

oh boy...no plywood on hand to use....this might sound funny, but how about using a wagon? I could put them in a wagon and wheel them into the kitchen and then my husband and I could carefully lift them up carefully to the counter. And....what the heck is mulm? Is that the nasty stuff that gets stirred up when you mess with the substrate (like when vacuuming?)....

Move completed

The move is completed and the wagon tricked worked great!! The 10g shrimp tank and the 10g with Bert the Betta and the three cories are in the kitchen safe and sound (and happy);)
The pictures below are two pictures of the new kitchen set up and the bottom picture is the new 29g in my home office. Now that it is all set up I can begin to plan what to put in it, substrate wise, for the cycling phase....

Glad to hear that it went so smoothly. Love the pictures of the two 10 gallons side by side.

Back
Top Bottom