Moving back to school--how?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I'm moving back to school in a week and I'm not sure exactly the best way to bring my tank.
It's a five gallon hex and I still have the box for it.

My current plan is to drain the tank almost completely into a bucket and leave about an inch of water or so for the gravel to stay wet, put it in the box and drive.

I was going to put my betta in a bag filled with water and then my ghost shrimp and snail in another bag with water. Would a clean starbucks cup work better than a bag? And I'm not sure of what I should do with my Marimo moss ball.

I know to keep the filter media in a ziplock back with water in it, but should I put that bag in the bucket just in case it open up?

And what about decorations? Do they go in a bag as well or should I just toss them in the bucket with the rest of the water?

Sorry for so many questions! I'm still new at this!

With a tank that small ... you could just transport the stock, moss and substrate in a 1/2 full tank .. then the tank into it's box. Just make sure it doesn't tip over ... place it in the floor behind one of the seats.

Any sharp decor and the filter media can be put in separate plastic bags in a bucket.

Edit ... I reread your post ... you can just put filter media and decor in a bucket w/ tank water.

I am in the same situation but don't have any fish yet (finishing up fishless cycle). I am a noob and haven't moved a tank before, but if it means anything I have the exact same plan as you for moving the tank, filter, gravel, and decorations. basically just sticking everything but the gravel in a cooler with as much tank water as possible and keeping the gravel wet in the tank.

I am in the same situation but don't have any fish yet (finishing up fishless cycle). I am a noob and haven't moved a tank before, but if it means anything I have the exact same plan as you for moving the tank, filter, gravel, and decorations. basically just sticking everything but the gravel in a cooler with as much tank water as possible and keeping the gravel wet in the tank.

Yep ... sound about right! ... In your case ... it's easier without stock to worry about. Keep the bacteria wet and your all set.(y)

Is it really safe to move with the stock in the tank? I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt on the ride! It's a little over an hour.

In a small 5 gal hex, as long as your careful and don't tip the tank over, remove any heavy decor, you'll be fine.

Another question, sorry for the double post!
How should I move my heater? I was thinking of wrapping it in an aquarium water-soaked paper towel and keeping it in a ziplock bag so that the plug doesn't get wet.

Is there a better way to do this?

If its your typical removable heater ... I'd say unplug it .... let it cool of then remove it. There's no need to ziplock it with water ... IMO.

Back
Top Bottom