Moving...Best way to transport fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennkp

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm moving in the next week. Thank goodness it's not far but what's the best way to transport my fish? The tanks will be the absolute last thing we move. I have a 30 & 10. Can I bag them like they do @ the pet store? We live upstairs right now so I'm afraid o putting everyone in a tub in case there is an accident going down the stairs. We are moving literally a mile maybe.

Empty water out..put fish in a cooler with that water in it. Move fish from cooler into tank with that water..and set em.up.

5 gallons buckets work well also. Remember to keep your filter pads wet during transport

Thanks! This should be fun. There are about 25+/- ghost shrimp in the 30. & we don't always see them all at once. I think we'll leave enough water in the tank to keep them wet in case we don't get them all. Ill put the filter pads & stuff in the cooler with the fish.

Not sure about substrate you have..but careful to support the bottom of the tank of you're leaving it in it. 10 and a 30 gallon should be pretty light and stuff.

Both tanks have sand substrate. I was slightly worried about that in the 30. I think the 10 will be fine.

As long as you have 2 people carry it in and use one hand to hold and balance it and the other pushing up slightly on the bottom, you should be fine. Otherwise take some out if you're worried.

Sounds good. It took 2 of us to bring it up& it had about 5-6in of old gravel, decorations, & the good & all that jazz still on it. I think it will be fine.

Well the move was successful. Only lost 3 ghost shrimp in the process. They were eaten though. :(

Back
Top Bottom