Moving comet goldfish outside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. I know comets can adjust to water temperature changes, I'm just not sure how one would deal with the water temp change with it still shifting from the 60's during the day to the 40's at night when he's used to being inside. The water's been keeping fairly steady cool, but it does change a bit between morning and afternoon. Right now, he's in a temporary home that's way to small for him because the temperature was fairly steady then we had a cold front come through that made temperatures plummet (SE Texas...yay :rolleyes:)...so....

Either it's safe to move him outside, or I'm going to move him into the 55 gallon for a month or so (more than plenty of room). My overly cautious nature says put him in the tank; however, if outside is fine, I'll do that. Whatcha think?

I'd put him in the 55 gal tank until you can match the temps. Then he will have months of outdoor living before dealing with the cooler winter weather and he will be able to then adjust to that gradually.

I would move him to the 55g until the temps stabilize a bit overall outside. For him to go from indoor temps (70+/-) to 40s may be a bit too much of a shock for him in one day. Good luck!

That's what I was figuring, especially with him being so young--he's maybe an inch and a half :D --but thought I'd get confirmation. Hopefully his easy catch he's developed with his daily 100% water changes will hold over once he's in a bigger tank....I doubt it *rofl*

Thanks guys ^_^

Back
Top Bottom