moving filter bag to cycle a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
I wasn't thinking ahead and reaplaced one of the two Whisper filter bags when I did my PWC on Wednesday (5 days ago). I should have waited until the 10G for the bettas was set up ..... anyway ....

I want to move one of the Whisper filter bags to the filter on the 10G to start the cycle. Should I:
a) use the 1 month old bag (q: will I leave myself short of good bactera on the 29G if I do that ?)
b) use the new 1 week old bag ? (q: is there enough good bacteria built up ? the Whisper does have the additional bacteria pad <whatever the official name is>)
c) wait another week before moving either of the bags ? (which I'd rather not do since I want my bettas in their new home ... but I will if I have to)

Thanks !

Are they sealed bags? if not, you could just take about half the stuff in them, and switch it out w/half the stuff in the new filter bags for the 10 gallon one...that way you would still have most of your bacteria. Or you could just wait for a week for the new bag to get some bacteria going, then change it to the ten gallon. You sound like me (impatient lol) so i'd prolly just take some of the media in the bag and switch it w/the other bag...even if i had to cut it open lol.

HTH

LOL yeah, I'm impatient you can tell huh ?

They are filter "bags" , open on the top, that slip over a grid in the Whisper filter, so I can't take part of it. When I think of the bag I tossed I can cry - all I had to do was keep it in the 29G tank until I was ready to set up the 10G ....

I think I"ll just use the new bag and do the new setup on Friday. The 10G will only have 2 bettas in it, so the bioload will be very low, I would imagine I'll have enough bacteria for them.

Since the tank is substrate free I'd think you would have to move the newer one....

Do you have any other biomedia in the system...besides the filter bags I mean?If not then the newer one would be my choice....if so then the older one might make sense depending on how much other media there is...

HTH

Thanks SCFatz - There is an open weave sponge behind each of the filter bags (2 in total). They are about 3" x 5" each.
I do also have one of those Lee's "Discard a Filter" things in each of the 2.5G. So I could also leave those in the 10G for a little while, even tho I don't think they've done a THING !
Given all this, I think I'll go with the plan to move the newer filter bag on Friday.
Thank you both for your opinions - I know the bettas won't be in any worse shape no matter what I do, I may just need to keep up the PWCs every other day or so for a bit longer.

I agree...use the newer one...it still has SOME stuff on it, but not enough to mess up your current tank...and i'm hoping the 2 bettas are female? 2 males w/kill each other as you probably already know, but just checkin

They're male - the tank is going to be divided into three sections (making room for a third betta - I'm addicted LOL). I'm making the dividers out of plastic canvas and report cover spines. I'll sew on some silk plant parts to the dividers to further cut down the view between sections.
I can almost guarantee that I'll have another 10G divided the same way within 2 months for another 3 bettas - I have the perfect spot on the kitchen counter for another tank LOLOLOL

I'd only make one division...ya..lots of people do three compartments, but 2 is really all i'd do in a 10 gallon...if it were 15 gallons..go for it. but 3 just doesnt give each one a whole lot of room...but then agaiin, they live in rice fields in the wild so hey...i guess you could do it and still have them happy...

but one betta looks good in a 10 gallon to ya know...put some decent lights on and get live plants..it'll look really nice

I'm going to do live plants in the 10G tank, but these two guys just don't use even 1/3rd of the space they have today (2.5G) - they're too interested in watching me work and just sit there staring at me doing their little wiggle dances begging for food. So they'll end up with 1G more than they currently have, and I get another betta .... I think we both win LOL

Back
Top Bottom