moving from 30 to 75 gallon will new tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightnurse14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first post thanks in advance for replys.
My pleco has become too big for the 30 gal tank I keep him in with about 12 sunburst platys. I have purchased a used 75 gal tank, scraped and resealed it and am waiting a few days for it to cure. My question is will the tank cycle when I move the fish to the new aquarium. I plan on bringing my old setup to the new and just get a larger penguin with the double biowheel. If I move my my reverse flow ugf setup with the rock over to the new tank will it cycle since I plan on just adding more water to fill the 75.

Personally, I wouldn't bring over the UGF. I would bring the substrate over, and any decor. Make sure the old substrate is on top. You may have a mini cycle, but a few 50% water changes will take care of any issues. Don't add any new fish for a few weeks though, as your bacteria colony is only large enough to support the stock you currently have, and you'll lose a little of that when you move everything over. I think you'll be fine though, just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite.

Is UGF not considered a good thing now? Thinking used to be that the water flow through the rock helped beneficial bacteria thrive. I use reverse flow to keep crud from building up under the filter and becoming a toxic sink. I need to research and find out what good practice in now. Sure I can get good advice here!

I think there are some merits to a RUGF setup... but I don't think I would put one in my tank. Just my opinion. It is extra maintenance, and I am not sure the extra maintenance is worth the potential benefits.

Back
Top Bottom