I'm moving Gimlet & Absinthe from a 20g long, 1.012 brackish, to a 45g established African Cichlid tank. Both tanks read the same in water testing, all good, of course the Ph reads higher for the brackish water. I'm planning to do the following steps, and want to know if I'm on the right track:
1. Move out cichlid filters (I double filter capacity with two filters on each tank) & decor/plastic plants to help cycle a new 60g freshwater cichlid tank.
2. Move cichlids when water tests are stable.
3. Stir up sand & vacuum to clean 45g, and change out 50% (?) of old water. (Not really sure if old cichlid water is worth saving.)
4. Add marine salt to 1.012 all at once, because the brackish filter bacteria is already established (?)
5. Move brackish filters to 45g tank to establish brackish bacteria.
6. Move GSPs when water tests are stable.
7. Stir up sand & vacuum to clean the brackish water sand, to add to the 45g. (For added brackish bacteria and just to add more sand to the tank.)
As you can see, I'm not confident in steps 3 to 7, so any experienced advice would be appreciated.
Photo is in 1.008 brackish water. No more real plants in 1.012!