Moving my fish, advice/opinions please! *Bumped*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaJoe

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all;

First off, sorry for the repeat post. I know I made a post similar to this one several months ago. I figured with the time that has passed I should just make a new thread.

Anyway here's the deal. I need to move my fish from Nova Scotia to Alberta (roughly 5500 kilometers). I will be driving in a Mazda 3 and anticipate at least 6 days of driving. The problem is I have to move my fish and (like anyone would probably be in my position) I am VERY worried about their well being. So basically I was hoping to post the method/ideas I plan to use during the move and ask a couple of questions along the way. Please please please help me out here and give me some advice!! :oops:

The plan:

I am going to put the fish in to two separate insulated coolers (more on the separation thing later). Each cooler will hold somewhere around 5-10 gallons of water [do i need that much water?] and have its own 50w heater and an air stone. I'm planning on buying a 500w power inverter to run the heaters/air pump. The two coolers will go in the trunk of the car, rear seats folded down to avoid excessive trunk temperatures. I plan on spending roughly 12 hours per day driving (split between a friend and I) then crashing at a hotel each night. When I get to the hotel the idea is that I take the coolers in and remove the lids. Plug the heaters and air pump in maybe throw in some food if the fish feel like eating and getting water ready for the next day. I plan on doing as close to a 100% water change as I can EVERY DAY to keep NH3 levels at a minimum. 90% [give/take] water changes will be done each and every day of the trip. When I get to my destination I should have a tank waiting for them. I am currently putting a 20 gallon tank which I JUST purchase through a fishless cycle. So in other words, when the fish get to their new home they'll have a place to do their thing while I get their old aquariums set up/cycled etc etc etc.

Concerns and Questions:

#1 Will it be safe to run a standard aquarium heater in a plastic coleman cooler? I would really like to avoid melting the plastic/having a fire/making a big mess in the car 8O

#2 The fish being transported are 3*balas, 1*pleco, 4*weather loaches, 1*betta, 2*ID sharks (or catfish :p). My concern here is can they all be transported in the same cooler? My thoughts tell me no because of possible aggression issues in addition to the increased rate of water contamination do to the fish's 'waste'. On the flip side, it would make life a whole lot easier if I had to transport one cooler instead of two.

#3 Water changes & quality. Is doing a near 100% water change every day such a good idea or should I be doing it more like every 2nd day? I will be using treated water at whatever hotel I am at that night but still.... Is the goal to keep the water chemistry at 0 ppm EVERYTHING or what? I'm not going to be running any filtration equipment so obviously I will not be putting the cooler through a cycle or whatever. I WILL however be bringing my master test kit with me. And by treated water I mean tap water dosed with dechlorinator and allowed to sit out over night.

#4 To heat or not to heat. For this situation, running a heater is a big risk because of the plastic cooler, everything will be in a car etc etc. Is it possible I could get away with out running any heaters while in the car? It's starting to get pretty warm out and with the car's climate control/HVAC system I am sure we could keep a somewhat constant temperature.

#5 I want to try and keep as much of the bacteria in my current set up alive and well during the trip too. I was thinking I could put the gravel and filter media in buckets with used aquarium water then 'install' it in my set up here in Alberta. Will the bacteria survive with no filtration, circulation or new waste to process? It's only six days but still, I am not sure.

#6 The last one I can think of right at this moment.... Feeding. We all know that often times fish will not eat when they are stressed. Is it possible or should I say likely that the fish will not eat during the entire drive and then perhaps die from starvation?

______________________>

Anyway that's all I am going to ask. I feel like I am imposing by asking so many questions. If there is anyone who can maybe answer a couple of my questions or give me advice or maybe point out some stuff that I haven't even thought of please please please make a post!

Thanks again everyone. Stay safe.

Joe

i drove from ohio to florida 2 day ride had my fish in a cooler with an air stone in the cooler i ran the air pump with a power inverter and a heater also had 15 fish in the cooler not one died. just make sure u use the water from your tank that the fish are in u should be fine. there is a product out there u could add to the water that they use when they ship fish . somone just posted a link think i was sparky ill look up the link and post it for ya ill edit my post ok heres the link the stuff is called bag buddy

http://www.aquariumguys.com/bagbuddies1.html

Ok your ideas sound good. I have successfully run heaters in plastic containers. I used the rubber suction cups to keep the heater directly off the sides. I would do 50-75% pwc per day with dechlorinator.
What size are the fish and what size cooler? If the fish are small enough and the cooler big enough, they should be fine for the trip in one cooler. The biggest thing is the ammonia production. That why the size of the cooler is so important. Otherwise 2 coolers will work fine.

I would feed the fish once per day if they want to eat just before doing the water change.

The bacteria will not survive without an ammonia source. You can put the media into the coolers if you are able. The fish will produce enough ammonia to hopefully keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

It will be a pain and rather stressful for you and the fish but it is do-able.

i agree with Zagz... all your ideas are valid, i don't think an aquarium heater is going to get hot enough to up a hole in a cooler, the suction cups will keep it far enough away

Thanks for the great advice :)

Still hoping maybe someone has some experience they can share regarding my situation or maybe more advice/suggestions.

Consider this post BUMPED

PS: I am leaving tomorrow for NS so please give me any advice you might have ASAp!! Thanks a million folks!

Joe

I read a topic on here a while back about someone doing a similar trip. He/she posted a complete log of the trip and it went pretty well. I'm not sure if you'll be able to find the thread, but the one thing I noticed is that the fish went without food for about 5 days (if I'm remembering correctly). I think the idea behind that was that the fish wouldn't produce as much waste and therefore ammonia levels would stay safer. Of course, if you're putting your filter media into the coolers, then that would be less of an issue because then the coolers would be more or less already cycled.

Good luck!

this is just a thought, maybe something that could be utilized...they have submersible filters, designed to run under water. maybe 1 or 2 of these will work in this case, will save stress on the fish from doing so many water changes. It is a thought, I've seen them at pet stores, walmart stores...hope it helps

That link was very helpful, thanks a lot! If I get the chance to spend some time writing a decent post I'll maybe ask a few more questions and relay a few more ideas I had. At the moment, I just got home from a 12 hour night shift and I AM FREAKING TIRED!

Thanks again everyone. I leave tomorrow, wish me luck!!!!!!!!!

Rest assured everyone will hear about how this trip went. Maybe I'll make a guide if everything goes according to plan ;)

Best to all,
Joe

Currently, everything is torn down and the fish are in 36 liter coolers. I was wondering if anyone might know if the agitation of the water in the cooler while driving would be enough to keep the water airated or do I really need to run air stones? I am hoping to avoid running air while we are moving because I need to keep the cooler cracked to get the air hose through. If I run air while we are on the road then there is a good chance of getting the car wet. On the other hand I am going to do what is best for my fish.

Last questions before my results post I promise! ;)

Joe

Don't run the airstones but check the fish periodically, if they seem to be getting lethargic, run the airstones. Good luck and have a good trip.

Hey everyone. Thanks again for all of your posts. I am currently in North Bay Ontario and everything is looking a-okay atm. I am running a power inverter to power a 500CC air pump supplying two coolers. I run a heater at night but not in the car. The coolers are having no problem keeping in the heat. The second day on the road I had an ammonia spike (4-8 PPM) and have been doing a 50% PWC over the corse of every 12 hours.

ANYWAY! I thought I would let you all know that all of my fish are doing great thanks to a lot of the great input and ideas in this post and on aquarium advice. Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to take pictures and report on how everything turns out.

Joe

Hello everyone. Another quick update, one of my fish is in trouble. Bruce (one of my ID shark catfish) is banged up pretty bad. From the look of thing I would say he got scared and went on one of his mindless darts (or maybe several for that matter) and sustained the damage. I can't upload a picture at the moment but I'll try to explain what is going on. The sides of Bruce's face/head are 'worn down' to a point where it looks very raw and meat-like. Although he is not bleeding, the damage does look pretty bad. I am having a pretty hard time getting a good look at him but if I were a betting man I would say his barbells are gone too. I feel terrible for him but what can I do? All of the other fish are doing just fine, including the other ID shark catfish. So last night I picked up some melafix (SP?) and will continue dosing with it for the duration of the trip. At this point I would say the most important factor is fighting of infection while Bruce heals. I am hoping things don't get much worse and that this trip does not end with Bruce having to be euthanized.

If anyone has any advice feel free to pass it along.

Take care,

Joe

Hi everyone. I have been having a lot of computer issues which is why I have not been online as much as I would have liked.

In any event, I wanted to give everyone a quick (and long past due) update about the move. It's a pretty simple outcome, all of my fish lived with no issue what so ever!

Pretty amazing eh? At least I thought so.... The fish lived through over 5000 km of driving, five hotel stays and more water changes then I can count... All in the coolers in the trunk of my car!!

If anyone wants any detail about how I went about moving them please message me, post here or send an email to anthropomancy@gmail.com

Thanks to everyone here for their help and support. With out Aquarium Advice I'm not sure how I would have made out.

Best,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom