Moving out and to a new place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I move out of my one bedroom (first floor) apartment in 2 months. I'll be moving into a new apartment (3rd floor, one bedroom). It's about 3 miles away.

But my concern is moving my aquarium. I have a 30 gallon tank, 20 pounds of black gravel, 10 fake plants, and 2 decor pieces. And one adorable cutie pie goldie :D

Anyway, I wanted to ask any opinion and input on my plan to transfer my fish to my new apartment. I will be HOPEFULLY staying at my new apartment for 2 years until I graduate college. Then off to my new city and job in Indianapolis :)

My plan was to drain the current tank water into a large bucket. Fill it about 3/4 the way. Then scoop up my fish with a bowl filled with tank water (so he stays in water from tank to bucket). Then place him gently into the bucket. Cover the bucket with a lid and sit it in my passenger seat of my car with a seatbelt around it. In another large bucket, place the gravel and all the decor in it. Then with the remaining tank water, siphon it out and just dump it in the tub.

My tank will be the first thing out of my old apartment and first thing into my new apartment. Pretty much when I am ready to take him out, have everything already packed so I can just leave once I'm done. Then head to my new place and set his stuff up right away. Then unpack everything else after I set up the tank again.

I'll only have stairs so I can't use an elevator. Sad because the tank empty is already heavy.

Any input and opinion is welcome! I'm already moving so I can't just not move.

I assume there's someone helping you move??. If so, I would leave everything in, apart from the water and decor(if heavy) and carry it. I know it'll be heavy but if you can get a few people, it'll be grand. With the fish, I wouldn't fill the bucket more than halfway. When your moving them in your car, I would put them in the back, behind the passenger seat and move seat back to keep it secure. I certainly wouldn't have it in the front seat, could be a disaster!!!

I just don't wanna leave anything in the tank and potentially crack or break the bottom :/ hopefully my boyfriend is free the day I move in. And I'll also have my parents with me.
I was thinking before I re add the gravel, I'd rinse it out to get loose debris that I don't get from regular cleaning.

I just don't wanna leave anything in the tank and potentially crack or break the bottom :/ hopefully my boyfriend is free the day I move in. And I'll also have my parents with me.
I was thinking before I re add the gravel, I'd rinse it out to get loose debris that I don't get from regular cleaning.
Yeah it would be a good time to give the gravel a good clean. Use another bucket for the gravel and filter. Fill with some tank water, you don't want to lose that precious BB!!!

Back
Top Bottom