Moving soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mustangmp96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody, I'll be moving to a new apartment in the near future and was wondering if anyone had some advice for moving my aquarium. I have a 36g bowfront stocked with two Angelfish, two Swordtail, four Cory, and Bristlenose Pleco. What's the best way for me to transport the tank without losing any fish?

That sounds very similar to what I have done in the past and will have to do again soon. How far do you have to move? If its just across town, I suggest you drain all but a couple inches of water. For a short distance, you can put the fish large bags or buckets or a portable styrofoam cooler. If it's farther, I suggest you put the angels in the foam cooler. Depending on the distance, a battery operated air pump would be a good idea too. If its short, the cories will be fine in the bottom of the tank with a few inches of water. Make sure to keep the filter media wet too. You can put in it its own bag of water, that is the least messy option. :)

It'll only be about 5 miles, so I think your suggestions are great absolutangel. Thank you and wish me luck!

Just an update, but, I made the move. It was only a few miles from my old place. I got one of those disposable styrofoam coolers, filled it with water directly from my aquarium and put the Angelfish and Swordtails in it. I took all of the decorations and filter media out and placed them in another cooler with a little more of the aquarium water. I then drained the aquarium of all but a few inches of water for the Cories and Pleco. Placed it all in my truck and made the move, and set the aquarium back up immediately. It's been about three weeks now and everyone's doing good. Moving the aquarium was def the aspect of my move that I worried about the most, but was actually not as difficult as I'd thought it would be. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom