MOVING: taking the tanks with us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so in 2 weeks my family and I are moving from Manhattan to a more suburban neighborhood about 30 minutes away called Scarsedale. The drive is about half an hour and I am very worried about my fish.

I have 1 40 gallon with pretty hardy fish (platies, danios, golden barbs, tetras) a 10 gallon with very hardy crayfish and an empty filtered 2.5 gallon which used to house a betta. I'm just worried something's gonna crack or fall over on the trip to Scarsedale. My dad recommended taking out about 50% of the water from all tanks to avoid spills and additional weight. Anyone have any advice?

Empty tanks completely, the water sloshing increases you chances of braking. Get yourself some 5-10 gal buckets and put your water and fish in them.

You will need 3-5gallon buckets with lids and 2 portable bubblers. Take all water out and fill 2 5g buckets. Add same tanks into each bucked and add lid. You will need to drill a small hole on both fish tops to add a bubbler line. The 3rd bucket is for your filter media. This is gonna be your best bet. The bubbler will help with oxygen and reduce the drive stress

You will need 3-5gallon buckets with lids and 2 portable bubblers. Take all water out and fill 2 5g buckets. Add same tanks into each bucked and add lid. You will need to drill a small hole on both fish tops to add a bubbler line. The 3rd bucket is for your filter media. This is gonna be your best bet. The bubbler will help with oxygen and reduce the drive stress

Would you have an additional bucket if there are live plants, or would they go with either the fish or the filter media? I am curious because next year I'm going off to college, and I intend to bring my fish with me.

Would you have an additional bucket if there are live plants, or would they go with either the fish or the filter media? I am curious because next year I'm going off to college, and I intend to bring my fish with me.

I would add the plants with the filter media depending on how much of each. If you have too much then yes, get an extra bucket

Definitely I had a 12 hour drive and I used this tactic buckets airstones water fish and your plants it should work fine

So what about the whole nitrogen cycle thing? I went through a near 4 week process of getting it cycled and fish safe. Won't I lost all that? How will the fish survive afterwards?

What exactly do you mean by media? I am aware this is regarding the beneficial bacteria but I don't know whether you're referring to the bacteria on plants or in the filter padding or other holders of bacteria

What exactly do you mean by media? I am aware this is regarding the beneficial bacteria but I don't know whether you're referring to the bacteria on plants or in the filter padding or other holders of bacteria

Media is filter pads, lava rock, sponges. Whatever your using to harbour your beneficial bacteria.

If your drive is 30 minutes away I wouldn't worry about the bubbler. Media is whats in your filter.

So what about the whole nitrogen cycle thing? I went through a near 4 week process of getting it cycled and fish safe. Won't I lost all that? How will the fish survive afterwards?

If you follow the steps and actions I posted you should be okay. There may be a mini cycle but you should expect that if your moving and taking your tanks. Your fish will survive fine in a mini cycle if you do the water changes and keep testing with your master test kit.

This is what I would do. My friend and her mom have 17 freshwater tanks and 1 saltwater. She gets the (set up) tanks off of Craigslist and this is what we do. Mind you we usually have a good 4 hour drive or so because we usually hit up at least 8 fish stores and other CL findings.
Put the fish in the water from the tank in 5 gallon buckets. Multiple if you have many fish. Depending on how many plants/decor you have - put those in a bucket or two. The filter cartridges should be with them. You can also leave he tank with a tiny bit of water in it as you drive if desired and put the filter media in there.
Put some of the gravel in a bucket if you are very concerned about losing too much bacteria.

Once you are home, set up the tank with brand new fresh water - dechlorinate it. Then put the filter media back into the filter and the gravel and plants and decor. Start acclimating your fish slowly with the drip method. It is just like when you first brought them home. They will be slowly adjusting to the new pH level/nitrate levels of your new water.

As long as the filter media does not dry out, your tank should not go into a cycle.

Thanks for all of this. Also thinking of getting bubblers anyway as its gonna take maybe twice the trip time to reassemble the tank! Just hope everything goes well.

Back
Top Bottom