Moving Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelman12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tomorrow I need to move my 20 gallon tank to my new place that is about 20 minutes away. My tank has neon tetras and cories. To those of you who have experience moving tanks, what is is the best way to successfully make this move?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it is only 20 minutes away it shouldn't be too bad. Personally when I moved we took the decor out and drained a little over half the water out of the tank. We buckled it into the seat and drove carefully. All of my fish were great and accounted for. Make sure you keep your filter media wet during the trip. Although I don't think 20 minutes will be too bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tomorrow I need to move my 20 gallon tank to my new place that is about 20 minutes away. My tank has neon tetras and cories. To those of you who have experience moving tanks, what is is the best way to successfully make this move?

When I did this a few years back I collected all the fish and put them in a five gallon bucket three quarters full of water in my opinion I would drain out 2 more 5 gallon buckets of the aquarium water remove plants put them in the bag just make sure they don't get crushed maybe put them in the box and I would remove all the rocks and driftwood I would leave substrate with minimal amount of water and move tank with substrate only still inside just make sure tank has flat secure surface in the vehicle then reassemble add previous aquarium water and whatever remaining water is needed fill as if you're doing a water change I would try to use as much of the previous aquarium water that I could maybe get a lids for the 5 gallon buckets for the ones without the fish and drive slow and careful this is just my opinion from the time I did I had no problem

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

I moved a 20 a few years ago. Drained 2/3 ofnthe water. Left everything in the tank including fish. Placed in truck. Drove 30 min to new home and added back the old water. No problems. My biggest concern would be your new water at your new home. I had several fish die within weeksnof the move and I found out it was the locations water. Now I still get water from my old location and all is good

I would gradually switch over to the water at your new place. Take some buckets of water from your old place and then mix with water from new place.

Thank you all for the words of wisdom. Made my move successfully and it went smoothly

Back
Top Bottom