Moving tank, what would you clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enrgizerbunny

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have to move my tank from one room to the next so I'll be able to do anything I wouldn't normally with fish in. I'll be cleaning glass inside and out with vinegar/citrus cleaner for sure and adding another 25lbs of gravel because it's a bit thin on one end.

So my question is, what so you do if all the fish are in buckets?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I won't clean anything better than usually... Just use sponge for the inside glass, no need for sterilization or anything...

I would only do a great substrate cleanup and remove limestone with vinegar if applies. Don't rinse filter media under tap, keep a bit of old aquarium water. Watch new water temperature when refilling the tank.

Clean the gravel well with water and rinse the gunk out of the tank. I wouldn't use any chemicals if it can be avoided. Certainly not spray cleaners which very likely contain surfactants! If you must disinfect to feel like it's clean, go with peroxide so you don't affect pH values or contaminate anything. If you have grungy decorations, go nuts with a clean toothbrush. Otherwise, the gravel is the only biggie.

The cleaner is vinegar that has orange peels soaked in it.

Also, I have 35 gallon Rubbermaid containers that I think will hold my fish plus the old tank water during the move. That way I can drop the heater in and an air stone.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would not use your cleaner, just water and vinegar if you have hard water deposits. Orange peels contain oily compounds that do stick to things (that's why it smells so good). Even with the vinegar, make sure to rinse it well.

Back
Top Bottom