Moving tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfisher1139

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planning on moving my current set up into a different tank, and was wondering if I changed the substrate, would that cause a mini-cycle? I plan on using the same filtration, decorations, and plants. I was thinking about just filling the free space in the filter with some of the old substrate. Would that allow a straight shot move?

As long as old filtration with it's bacteria is used and you don't add new fish right of the bat you should be fine

Personally i would still wait a day or so before you added the fish even with the seeded filter on the new tank.

Ok. Sounds good. I am currently running dual filters, so I'll move one and the plants today, and move the fish, their hiding spots (driftwood), and the other filter tomorrow.

be sure to test your water tomorrow. Should have mentioned that before

Of course, but thanks for the reminder. I do tend to be forgetful when I get excited.

Here is the new layout. I need to get a background still, but I like it a lot!!

DSC_6527.jpg

It's just a black sand (ph neutral) from, dare I say, Petsmart (Yeah, I get some equipment and dry goods there, but we have a good crew at ours.)

I've gotten a lot of my non-living aquarium artifacts at LFS's. Tank looks good! I can't decide whether I want PFS or the 3M black quartz type of substrate. (I know they don't make it anymore, but there is an alternative out there)

Tank looks nice, like the look of the sand, my new setup is also missing a background and of course i went to PetSmart to get 1 today and they didnt have the kind i wanted, this seems to happen everytime i go there.

Well, got everyone moved and the background on. Tested the water this morning, and it was in great shape. I should have mentioned that the substrate was just recently used and kept wet. Anyway, I still exchanged half the water with water from the old tank even though the parameters matched identically. Will post a pic or two soon!!

Back
Top Bottom