Moving tanks - 24g to a 65g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

draX

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all...

I am giving my 24g tank to a friend of mine, and he is buying me a 65g in return. Sweet deal me thinks. The 24g is running an UGF, 40W lighting etc. I am giving him all the equipment. I want to keep my fish, so I need to transfer them to the 65g. Fish are: clown loach, SAE, two dwarf gourami's, 4 neon tetras. I have an aquaclear that I've been running on the 24g for a week, I will move that over to the new tank when I get it. Also planning on adding a canister filter at a later stage. I also want to use sand for the 65g, which I have not done before. I have heard varying opinions of whether pool sand is safe or not, could I have some of your views? And any suggestions as to what would be the best method of doing the switch?

Thanks...

Pool filter sand is safe from what I hear, as long as you rinse it (more for your filters sake then the fish)

Drain 1/2 the 24 Gallon into the new tank, bring the new tanks water level up to where the fish can swim (might have to add 20Gal of new water, make sure the temperature is exact!!), then net the fish and put them in, some people will bag the fish for this, but I've just moved the fish right over, considering it was a perfect temperature and the PH of my tank is the PH of my tap. When you have all the fish moved over, drain as much of the water as you can into the new tank, (leave about 1/2" above the substrate so your friend doesn't have to recycle the tank), then top up the new tank, add filters etc.

You've just done a 2/3 water change, (essentially) and as long as you give the fish time to adjust and the tank to mini-cycle (it might not even need this if you used bio media in the filter) and all will be well.

I did this saturday with my Daughters 10Gal, replaced for a 16Gal, I've also done this with a 20Gal -> 75Gal (there is no easy way to float a 9" Pleco, unless I use a garbage bag :D) out of both times there was only 1 casualty, and that was from a falling rock :? :( poor neon didn't see it coming.

Also, use a dechlorinator like prime or stresscoat before you move the fish, I prefer prime now since it's 5x the concentration (5 ml to 50 Gal water instead of stresscoats 5ml / 10 Gal water)

Back
Top Bottom