Moving tanks. How to transfer fish????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I am upgrading to a larger tank. I have cycled the larger tank and all is left is to transfer my fish. What is the best way to do this??? I'm worried about fish like my Bala sharks as I don't want to injure them!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What I've done in the past is net them out, drip acclimate in a 5 gallon bucket, check water perimeters from both tanks, turn the light off on the new tank, and add them to it slowly, then turn the light back on in an hour or two.

Somewhat minimizes stress. I'm sure there are some other ways that are just as successful.

Whenever possible, I try to catch fish without a net. Depends on the size of the fish what I use instead.. most of mine are small species, so a 32 oz deli container works well. I use either a net or my hand or another cup to 'herd' the fish into the container and then lift it out fish and all. Then I can easily place it into whatever it's going into.

I had to move my 29G last spring, I caught all the fish this way and they went in a 5G bucket for the trip to their new residence. Once there, I filled the tank, made sure of equal temps and caught them in the bucket the same way, with the deli cup. Easier, a bit, as they had less space to escape in.. the last few I carefully poured in from the bucket after taking most of the water out and putting some of the new water in.

No losses at all.

Back
Top Bottom