Moving to Larger Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sawdust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 75 gallon tank set up a couple of years ago, but had to move. (new job, new house, new town, etc.) I put my fish into a 10 gallon tank in the new place until I had time to set up the 75 gal. (I had 3 cories, 2 yo-yo loaches, 1 CAE and 3 danios) I finally got a chance to set up my big tank the other day and am DREADING the whole cycling a new tank thing. It was a pita from what I remember. I did move the one artificial plant from the 10 gal into the 75, and used some of the water from the small tank. I still have some water and gravel in the smaller tank. I am considering taking some of the gravel and putting it in some panty hose and hanging it in the larger tank to speed up the process. Will this work?

I would put the old substrate in pantyhose and lay it on the new substrate floor. The water column holds next to no beneficial bacteria. I would transfer your filter as well to help the cycle along.

Using some of the old substrate will help for sure. You have a much larger tank now so you will still have to cycle. As mentioned water has no beneficial bacteria. Transfering the filter or the media will also help.

Back
Top Bottom