Moving to my new home and looking for advice for moving tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 72 gallon bowfront I'm using as a freshwater community tank. Its been up and running for about six months now. I am moving to a new house in the next few weeks and am trying to see if anyone has any ideas for moving/restarting the tank and keeping the fish as healthy and happy as possible. I have 3 clown loaches, a pink gourami, bala shark, 6" pleco, 5 corydoras, siamese algae eater, and a handful of danios. Any information or prior experiences will be handy. Thanks!

Get a few buckets... keep your gravel and your filter media submerged at all times.... get another bucket for the fishies... and move the tank... when you get to the new house... set up the tank... get a inch or 2 of water into the tank.. then put in the gravel, keep the filter submerged in the bucket.. fill up the tank till you can get the filter running again.. continue to fill up the tank till its full... wait for the temperature to be where its going to be at.. then drip acclimate the fishes till the buckets water is the same temp as the tank.. then add fishies..

a helpful thing to do.. keep the fish bucket aired out with a air pump and air stone.. and when you get to the new house.. clean out the tank really well.. all bacteria on the glass will have died.. and can cause a mini cycle or ammonia spike..

Moved to the FW forums. This forum is for technical support and admin contact.

Definitely keep your substrate and filter media submersed in tank water as MichaelsLilGray suggests. Five gallon buckets for fish transportation is great but I would definitely use more than one bucket. Otherwise, it could get a little crowded in there.

You might also consider feeding a little less the day before the move. I wouldn't feed your fish on the day of the move either.

There are some really helpful old threads on other people's experiences moving if you try searching around a bit.

Good luck!

I also used the oppurtunity to clean my substrate real good. If you keep the filter media wet during the move you will be fine.

a helpful thing to do.. keep the fish bucket aired out with a air pump and air stone.. and when you get to the new house.. clean out the tank really well.. all bacteria on the glass will have died.. and can cause a mini cycle or ammonia spike..

never heard of anyone having a ammonia spike over bacteria on the glass dying off. higher chance of not having the bacteria cause a spike but not enough to take care of the ammonia the fish are making.

over all what you said i think is the best way to go about it.

Back
Top Bottom